What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StrkAliteN

Reaction score
Yup. We actually spent years and hundreds of millions of dollars preparing for a new interstate bridge for I-5, had like 3 different versions of plans, did the environmental studies etc but everybody in Oregon wanted light rail included because half the population of Vancouver WA, right on the other side of the river, commute to Portland to work and shop. No sales tax here, and no state income tax there. So they live over there to skip taxes and clog the freeway to work over here. But WA didn’t want to spend any money for light rail so it all ended up in a stalemate and they took too long so the federal funds went away. So did the bridge plans, it was all a waste of money. Now they’re trying to start things rolling again because traffic on that bridge is so bad plus it’s in terrible shape.
Yea the only good thing about the I-5 bridge connecting Vancouver WA and Portland OR is the Columbia river beneath it !

Caught this beauty a few years ago in the Columbia river. Caught it next to the Ilwaco- Astoria bridge over the river ( closer to the pacific ocean than the I-5 bridge ) about 100 miles west of I-5. You can still catch salmon around the I-5 bridge, they just mass up into larger concentrations nearer the mouth of the river where it dumps into the Pacific.

salmonbig2012columbiariver.jpg

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And my first attempt with SS braided AN lines.

I have a single AN wrench, adjustable.
I just ordered a second one, to much of a pita to use a rag for the "holding" side.
Any good quality wrench will do the trick so long as it’s not a flanked or speed wrench. If you have a set of “soft jaws” for your bench vice, I’ve found they actually work better to help hold the hose/fitting than using two wrenches.
As @Rocket Man mentioned below, taping them prior to cutting helps to index a straight cut as well as prevent any fraying prior to the install. I’ve found that a set of ratchet style cutters works best on any braided metal to not deform the round. Either the standard ratchet pipe cutter or ratchet cable cutters will work. The cable cutters almost look like bolt cutters, but work better than a chop saw or die grinder on this kind of project because they don’t throw dust into the hose. Plus depending on the style they can be used to cut braided cable as well (both coated or un-coated).
They make it super easy as long as you tape the braid before you cut it so it doesn’t fray. I have had a few cheap(er) connectors that were tight and the barrels barely fit over the braid but for the most part they’re easy.
I’m wondering if anyone has come out with a shrink tube or “liquid” style line whip-end that would work on braided lines?

StrkAliteN

Reaction score
Any good quality wrench will do the trick so long as it’s not a flanked or speed wrench. If you have a set of “soft jaws” for your bench vice, I’ve found they actually work better to help hold the hose/fitting than using two wrenches.
As @Rocket Man mentioned below, taping them prior to cutting helps to index a straight cut as well as prevent any fraying prior to the install. I’ve found that a set of ratchet style cutters works best on any braided metal to not deform the round. Either the standard ratchet pipe cutter or ratchet cable cutters will work. The cable cutters almost look like bolt cutters, but work better than a chop saw or die grinder on this kind of project because they don’t throw dust into the hose. Plus depending on the style they can be used to cut braided cable as well (both coated or un-coated).

I’m wondering if anyone has come out with a shrink tube or “liquid” style line whip-end that would work on braided lines?
Ex union electrician here ( I have cut / spliced 1000s of cables and used every type crimp connector and or shrink tube on the market ( 20yrs ago )

Yes ratcheting cable cutters like the Klein pair pictured will cut braided aluminum or copper wire cable much better than anything else ( from very small #6 wire all the way up to 750 MCM cable. The trick to good cuts on small braided cable ( like welding cable ) is to wrap the cable prior to the cut with electrical tape. BUT you have to make the 1st few wraps with the tape inside out so the sticky side IS NOT touching the braided cable, so it can be easily removed to attach / crimp on your terminal point. If the cable already has insulation on it prior to cutting that should suffice, and no tape needed.

They make tons of different kinds and sizes of shrink tube that is water proof and will ooze out a liquid when heated and this seals the end of the cable from weather or water intrusion once the connector or terminal has been crimped on.

Hope this helps someone.

cable cutters.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea the only good thing about the I-5 bridge connecting Vancouver WA and Portland OR is the Columbia river beneath it !

Caught this beauty a few years ago in the Columbia river. Caught it next to the Ilwaco- Astoria bridge over the river ( closer to the pacific ocean than the I-5 bridge ) about 100 miles west of I-5. You can still catch salmon around the I-5 bridge, they just mass up into larger concentrations nearer the mouth of the river where it dumps into the Pacific.

View attachment 361816
Oh yeah. You can still catch salmon in downtown Portland too, but I have always gone to buoy 10 at the mouth of the Columbia the few times I’ve gone. Caught a few sturgeon, a couple 8’ers even that I had to turn loose because that’s too big, up the Columbia near Bonneville dam. I don’t fish much though. My favorite is bottom fish off the coast on a charter. I’ve never been skunked at that.

Reaction score
My Ridgid impact and batteries/charger delivered today and charged both batteries.

Seems like a decent tool. The batteries also have a push button that shows the charge level when pushed.

Gotta make sure to register them online so they'll get the lifetime warranty!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Ridgid impact and batteries/charger delivered today and charged both batteries.

Seems like a decent tool. The batteries also have a push button that shows the charge level when pushed.

Gotta make sure to register them online so they'll get the lifetime warranty!
Mine came today too. Supposed to be Monday but they came early. I was glad to see the batteries for my older tools are interchangeable. So now I have plenty of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts