What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Yukon a year ago, it already had a crack in the dash next to the passenger airbag. After studying up on the causes, looking at easy fixes, hard fixes, replacement, etc. I vowed to do everything I could to preserve the rest of the dash. I've done everything I could. I put a sunshade in the windshield. I regularly applied protectants (probably made from baby seals and whale blubber) to the dash. I parked in the shade whenever I could - even at night. I said a prayer every day when I got in the truck. I hung rosary beads on the rear view mirror. I've asked for divine help from rabbis, medicine men, mechanics, priests, a bishop and an old televangelist.

Today, this, just in front of the instrument cluster binnacle:

20200110_074454.jpg

All that for nothing. Thanks GM.

True story: my wife's '09 Camry got a recall notice from Toyota to bring her car in for a free dash replacement because it might become sticky. Same day replacement, no fuss, no issues. I wish GM would step up here. But that's wishful thinking. Maybe I'll sick my medicine man on them. I think he's got a spare voodoo doll somewhere.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my Yukon a year ago, it already had a crack in the dash next to the passenger airbag. After studying up on the causes, looking at easy fixes, hard fixes, replacement, etc. I vowed to do everything I could to preserve the rest of the dash. I've done everything I could. I put a sunshade in the windshield. I regularly applied protectants (probably made from baby seals and whale blubber) to the dash. I parked in the shade whenever I could - even at night. I said a prayer every day when I got in the truck. I hung rosary beads on the rear view mirror. I've asked for divine help from rabbis, medicine men, mechanics, priests, a bishop and an old televangelist.

Today, this, just in front of the instrument cluster binnacle:

View attachment 238220

All that for nothing. Thanks GM.

True story: my wife's '09 Camry got a recall notice from Toyota to bring her car in for a free dash replacement because it might become sticky. Same day replacement, no fuss, no issues. I wish GM would step up here. But that's wishful thinking. Maybe I'll sick my medicine man on them. I think he's got a spare voodoo doll somewhere.

Install a dashskin.... problem solved.

I personally agree that it's one of GM's biggest quality failures. The number of suv's/trucks out there with cracked dash's has got to be several MILLION....

This from a GM family man......

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I personally agree that it's one of GM's biggest quality failures. The number of suv's/trucks out there with cracked dash's has got to be several MILLION....

Got one in my Amazon wish list already. The only thing that gives me pause is that my dash has recently developed a really annoying rattle on the inside. It sounds like it's right behind the headlight switch. If I can't figure it out from below, I'll end up pulling the top panel off anyway. Might as well replace it in that case.

Question for anyone who's installed a dashskin. Does it make removal of the factory piece more difficult down the road?

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I reckon that every single one of them will begin cracking at some point. Been lucky so far but then again, I haven't looked under the dash mat in several years! My kids clean it for me.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got one in my Amazon wish list already. The only thing that gives me pause is that my dash has recently developed a really annoying rattle inside the dash. It sounds like it's right behind the headlight switch. If I can't figure it out from below, I'll end up pulling the top panel off anyway. Might as well replace it in that case.

Question for anyone who's installed a dashskin. Does it make removal of the factory piece more difficult down the road?

It has too since it bridges 2 pieces- the dash top and the section over the defrost vents.

But I will tell you I had a rattle but it was a small section of the dash that was cracked flapping from road vibration. Now- NO RATTLES...

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got one in my Amazon wish list already. The only thing that gives me pause is that my dash has recently developed a really annoying rattle inside the dash. It sounds like it's right behind the headlight switch. If I can't figure it out from below, I'll end up pulling the top panel off anyway. Might as well replace it in that case.

You have to pull the dashskin first and it’s glued down. So yes. Plus I’m pretty sure you can’t reinstall the dashskin.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to install new driver door wire harnesses in both my ‘09 Tahoe and Silverado. Both vehicles had issues all related to that stupid harness. The Silverado had an intermittent problem with the driver side window switch, power mirrors never worked, and the dome light wouldn’t shut off (I jumpered a ground in the old harness to fix that. The Tahoe kept getting an Airbag warning light due to a driver door sensor fault every time I would open the driver door with the engine running.
Replacing the harnesses FIXED all of those issues! Took four weeks to get from GM and they both were $180 shipped with tax. Took 45min to install.

2d06e4e51a4eee2f8b1b21558f60b603.jpg
dd58947eb7a7af22bc3f4104526f150a.jpg
e7e93e6442c656963701022235738780.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to install new driver door wire harnesses in both my ‘09 Tahoe and Silverado. Both vehicles had issues all related to that stupid harness. The Silverado had an intermittent problem with the driver side window switch, power mirrors never worked, and the dome light wouldn’t shut off (I jumpered a ground in the old harness to fix that. The Tahoe kept getting an Airbag warning light due to a driver door sensor fault every time I would open the driver door with the engine running.
Replacing the harnesses FIXED all of those issues! Took four weeks to get from GM and they both were $180 shipped with tax. Took 45min to install.

2d06e4e51a4eee2f8b1b21558f60b603.jpg
dd58947eb7a7af22bc3f4104526f150a.jpg
e7e93e6442c656963701022235738780.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing like genuine gm, and new too!

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it has been a long time since I posted in here but with finding my lifter broke and camshaft worn down I figured that I would see if anyone else has seen this.7d30a22609d62c0349a0db18c5d22f95.jpg7e0becb6847737f653a5231fbcb6a963.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azwood12