What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically not today, but I am one step closer to making my rear speakers work. After studying the wiring diagram for the RSE I noticed that the rear speaker wires go in and out. I cut into the wires and hooked a speaker into them and got sound coming out, so I know that the rear channel of the radio is still good. I don't think the speakers are blown because neither the rear doors or the D pillar speakers play. I am thinking the wires are broken or shorted somewhere between the RSE and the rear speakers. I didn't have time to pull the panels and run new wire yesterday. Probably tackle that this weekend or next.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically not today, but I am one step closer to making my rear speakers work. After studying the wiring diagram for the RSE I noticed that the rear speaker wires go in and out. I cut into the wires and hooked a speaker into them and got sound coming out, so I know that the rear channel of the radio is still good. I don't think the speakers are blown because neither the rear doors or the D pillar speakers play. I am thinking the wires are broken or shorted somewhere between the RSE and the rear speakers. I didn't have time to pull the panels and run new wire yesterday. Probably tackle that this weekend or next.
Maybe crimped in the rubber boot in the door frame?

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read a service bulletin that the wiring can become damaged in the B pillar by the seatbelt retractor. I have already pulled the covers in the past and seen no chaffing or damage. It appears that the harness leaves the radio and goes through the console to the RSE and back forward to the radio area. Just too much to disassemble and trace out. I will just run new wire since I can get signal right out where I cut the wires.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone already had the dash out to repair the cracking before I bought it, I thought the wires could have been damaged then so I decided to investigate the RSE approach.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone already had the dash out to repair the cracking before I bought it, I thought the wires could have been damaged then so I decided to investigate the RSE approach.
Did you hook the wires direct to each other at the RSE, bypassing that thing? Another trick is to use a cordless tool battery like one off a drill and hold one speaker wire to the negative terminal of the battery and touch the other wire to the positive terminal and if the speaker pops the wire is good. It's also useful when trying to figure out which pair of wires go to which speakers.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you hook the wires direct to each other at the RSE, bypassing that thing? Another trick is to use a cordless tool battery like one off a drill and hold one speaker wire to the negative terminal of the battery and touch the other wire to the positive terminal and if the speaker pops the wire is good. It's also useful when trying to figure out which pair of wires go to which speakers.
No I didn't bypass it, I am just going to splice into the output of the RSE that way it still functions. I just find it weird that I have sound to the RSE because the headphones work and output wires give sound but none of the rear 4 speakers play. Has to be a major break in the harness somewhere. Although I didn't have a fully functional test speaker, just a 2 way that the woofer was blown but I did get sound from the tweeter when testing the output.