What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I’ll be signing my divorce decree within the next week to two weeks (hallelujah!), the house is under contract and should close March 7th. I will be staying in Colorado until early June, and plan to migrate to NE Tx at that time.

I will be driving my Yukon, which is just shy of 220k today, towing my car behind her to Tx. I plan to replace my transmission, and keep my current one as a spare. So I figure it’s wise to get this ordered quickly, since there may be delays.. @Rocket Man , after your experience with Performabuilt, you’ve convinced me to go with them. So I am looking at the GM level 3 transmission, rated at 900 HP. (Granted, I’m nowhere near that, but want this sucker to be strong, and I eventually hope to have a lot more power) so I’m trying to establish if there’s anything special to specify, or request with this build, and also what torque converter to go with. I believe Circle D is the universally understood best option here, but need to figure stall on that as well. Any feedback is appreciated.!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, I’ll be signing my divorce decree within the next week to two weeks (hallelujah!), the house is under contract and should close March 7th. I will be staying in Colorado until early June, and plan to migrate to NE Tx at that time.

:confused: Well, that's good news and bad news. Happy for you but sad for us (current) locals, even if we are all the way across the big city. If you don't mind telling, what takes you to Texas?

You've probably done yours already, but I need to find a warm weekend and the impulse to do my seat leather and cushion. There just isn't enough time, sadly. It'll probably be mid-summer before I get to mine.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Video I saw had the Tech 2 reboot after the starter cranked. Even with the 12vDC cord plugged in, the Tech 2 tries to draw power from from the OBDII port first. As long as there was power detected from the OBDII port, it would not kick over to the 12VDC feed from the other power supply. The switched extender cuts the power coming through the OBDII port, but the rest of the data does its thing. Since the power is cut off from the port, the Tech 2 will run off the 12VDC supply.

This may only be with the clones... Maybe it was only an issue with older clones, that has been since resolved? The video was from 2020. Maybe the problem has been fixed by Vetronix already?

The guy in the video found that his rebooted when initiating the engine cranked over. The switch seemed to solve that. For about $11, i figured it would be good to have if it kept the tTech 2 from rebooting during a diagnostic session that requires starting the engine.

Here was the video...
Regarding power supplies... User guide says:

Connecting to vehicles... Use power port on the cable only. Do NOT connect to the port on the bottom of the Tech 2.
Not connected to vehicle... Use port on cable or on bottom of Tech 2.

20220217_074546.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding power supplies... User guide says:

Connecting to vehicles... Use power port on the cable only. Do NOT connect to the port on the bottom of the Tech 2.
Not connected to vehicle... Use port on cable or on bottom of Tech 2.

View attachment 363493
ya but these clones have a problem and won't stay powered if the voltage drops and I am guessing do not stay powered when automatically switching from DLC cable vehicle power to external power, I think I tried the same thing the guy did in the video and it did not stay on when I turned the ignition so I moved it to the bottom of the tech2 and it worked fine. there does not appear to be any danger doing it that way other than it may loose ground (and therefore not work) if there is no proper ground to the external supply

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I will be driving my Yukon, which is just shy of 220k today, towing my car behind her to Tx. I plan to replace my transmission, and keep my current one as a spare. So I figure it’s wise to get this ordered quickly, since there may be delays.. @Rocket Man , after your experience with Performabuilt, you’ve convinced me to go with them. So I am looking at the GM level 3 transmission, rated at 900 HP. (Granted, I’m nowhere near that, but want this sucker to be strong, and I eventually hope to have a lot more power) so I’m trying to establish if there’s anything special to specify, or request with this build, and also what torque converter to go with. I believe Circle D is the universally understood best option here, but need to figure stall on that as well. Any feedback is appreciated.!
Can't tell the tone of your post, so either "I'm sorry" or "congrats".

Whereabouts in NE Texas? We are full, but I'll allow an NBS SUV owner in. :D

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:confused: Well, that's good news and bad news. Happy for you but sad for us (current) locals, even if we are all the way across the big city. If you don't mind telling, what takes you to Texas?

You've probably done yours already, but I need to find a warm weekend and the impulse to do my seat leather and cushion. There just isn't enough time, sadly. It'll probably be mid-summer before I get to mine.
Thanks Steve! It’s a good thing. I need to get to a more free state. Colorado isn’t the same. Lived here since my youth, but it’s unrecognizable now. I also really can’t afford to stay here after the divorce. A “starter home” is 450-500k these days, and I’m really not willing to spend that much unless I have some land.

And, no, I haven’t had the time to do my leather seat yet! Lol. I was waiting for our meetup, but now, I’m afraid it won’t be done until after my relocation. Definitely don’t want to try it in the cold.. and boy does my lower back miss it.!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo