What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx. I hated my stock tails. Was my 1st mod.

Thx Scotty. Can't wait to give that a shot. Are those wires in the black connector? Power to one and ground to the other? Good to see you back buddy :)
If I remember correctly, one mirror has them in the same connector, and the other mirror has one wire in each connector. I can't remember which side is which though. It's been awhile since I wired up a set of those mirrors.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, one mirror has them in the same connector, and the other mirror has one wire in each connector. I can't remember which side is which though. It's been awhile since I wired up a set of those mirrors.
Gonna give it a shot probably later in the week. Thx.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing obvious. Transfer case seems ok, torque converter looks ok, trans looks ok with no oil leaking from the front seal. But if I put the gear selector in N the tail shaft only turns in one direction. When it happened, at first the truck felt like the brakes were on then it killed the engine and the starter wouldn’t turn it over. After it sat for about an hour I was able to start the engine and I was able to move forward a few feet but not reverse. And when the tow truck came, I tried pushing it forward and back in N with the engine running and not running. I could only move it forward, it wouldn’t go back at all.( I warned the driver but he loaded it on a flatbed and there’s a whole other story in my build thread about getting it off that truck.) So something was locked up and it looks like it was the trans. I’ll get a warranty authorization and ship it and the converter back to see what they find.
Mine did the exact same thing. All gears were forward and the truck wouldn't roll backwards no matter what. I don't think it actually broke until I made it move lol and something snapped.. the converter spun freely when I pulled the trans,but seemed to be full of fluid which leads me to believe my pump went out.

Did your trans temp spike when it happened?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine did the exact same thing. All gears were forward and the truck wouldn't roll backwards no matter what. I don't think it actually broke until I made it move lol and something snapped.. the converter spun freely when I pulled the trans,but seemed to be full of fluid which leads me to believe my pump went out.

Did your trans temp spike when it happened?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
No, it didn’t. I’m not sure if my converter had fluid when I pulled it out because the trans fell off the jack and the converter fell out; fluid was everywhere. I only had forward for a few feet after it sat and something unlocked so I could start the engine. After that, there was no moving under power at all- forward or reverse. And no rolling backwards in N, only forward.

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes- level 3 “invincible” 4l65 from Performabuilt good for 800 hp and an FTI billet triple disc 2800 stall torque converter. Still broke something but it’s under warranty. I did beat the Subaru STi off the line though...
Yup....glad priorities are still being observed! On a side note I am asking only because I am considering a Vortech V3 centrifugal for my 5.3 Tahoe. I knew that the trans would go quickly if I didn't do anything to it but actually wanted to step up to a beefed up 4L80 or 85. If you go to some Land cruiser forums you will find that the 5.3 platform is a REALLY popular choice for swaps but everyone feels the 4L60 is not up to the task and they always find other options for the trans. Do you happen to have an opinion of the Vortech? I know you like the Whipple but are you aware of any negatives about what I am considering? Appreciate any feedback you share.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup....glad priorities are still being observed! On a side note I am asking only because I am considering a Vortech V3 centrifugal for my 5.3 Tahoe. I knew that the trans would go quickly if I didn't do anything to it but actually wanted to step up to a beefed up 4L80 or 85. If you go to some Land cruiser forums you will find that the 5.3 platform is a REALLY popular choice for swaps but everyone feels the 4L60 is not up to the task and they always find other options for the trans. Do you happen to have an opinion of the Vortech? I know you like the Whipple but are you aware of any negatives about what I am considering? Appreciate any feedback you share.
I know nothing of the Vortech unfortunately. As far as the trans, I would have done a conversion but due to my AWD transfer case I was stuck with the 4l65. There was a guy making adapters on pt.net but last I read he was waiting until he got 20 pre orders to make a new batch and he had like 6 after 8 months. My only other option is convert to 2 WD.

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know nothing of the Vortech unfortunately. As far as the trans, I would have done a conversion but due to my AWD transfer case I was stuck with the 4l65. There was a guy making adapters on pt.net but last I read he was waiting until he got 20 pre orders to make a new batch and he had like 6 after 8 months. My only other option is convert to 2 WD.
Yeah 2wd is a no go. Any chance of switching out to 2wd/4wd selectable transfer case?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcutter004

Latest posts