What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night I finally dropped the trans' pan to replace the filter & add 5-fresh quarts of AC Delco Dex6 fully synthetic. I had to do it after dark because it's so damn hot down here in TX; it was no walk in the park. I got most of the old oil on myself & the ground. While laying in oil-soaked cardboard I had to remove the shifter linkage so that the pan would come out and those 2-torx bolts are tucked away with no reasonable space to reach them.... I almost removed the front DS but persistence & attacking at ridiculous angles with my hands while shimmying every which a'way on my back finally paid off with their removal & the pan coming free. The old gasket could only be removed via razor blade and took probably 1-hour+ of clean/prep.

I didn't bother removing the old filter seal due to circumstance, and the new filter popped in nicely. I got the pan back in place, shifter linkage arranged and torqued the bolts up with my 1/2-in drive @ 18-lbs or so. I got to the last bolt in the corner & noticed the cork gasket was broken & protruding something awful. Great! Take it all back apart @ 2:00am

Left 2 bolts snugged up on the pan & rinsed the drive off. Picked up a neoprene type gasket today so that I can try again without the 18-in long, 140 lb torque wrench. Maybe go to harbor freight & get a smaller 1, or is it that big of a deal? Can I get away with hand tighten by feel? If I didn't have so much auto repair going on I would have paid the garage $50 for their labor & avoided all of this work but $50 can go a long way for what I need.

Learned my lesson on overtightening and/or not thoroughly checking my work as I go. I did use some permatex copper spray on the pan to hold my cork gasket which could also have created the problem. Now I get to remove all of that shit tonight & prep it again. And use the proper 9ft-lb torque instead of double that LoL.

Last edited:

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I take it your going with all black scheme? Swap the handles with some painted black ones is what I would do and wrap the rack like you said. Where all does that leave you chrome then? Any plans on smokin the taillights and third brake light? & side question how low you goin?

Sent from iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

Gonna ****** it the f*ck out lol, I need to wrap the chrome on the running boards too, but need to replace the driver side one it's a lil tweaked, after that there is no chrome at all, ya I'm thinking I'll get the tails tinted came across this Esky, and I'm thinking 3/4 or so for the drop

8a9cd5d8392d4d536b21ceac2ac1220e.jpg

c90c057bda6059e3fbadee0f5f5277fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MINIz guy

Reaction score
I didn't bother removing the old filter seal due to circumstance, and the new filter popped in nicely. I got the pan back in place, shifter linkage arranged and torqued the bolts up with my 1/2-in drive @ 18-lbs or so. I got to the last bolt in the corner & noticed the cork gasket was broken & protruding something awful. Great! Take it all back apart @ 2:00am

Left 2 bolts snugged up on the pan & rinsed the drive off. Picked up a neoprene type gasket today so that I can try again without the 18-in long, 140 lb torque wrench. Maybe go to harbor freight & get a smaller 1, or is it that big of a deal? Can I get away with hand tighten by feel? If I didn't have so much auto repair going on I would have paid the garage $50 for their labor & avoided all of this work but $50 can go a long way for what I need.

Learned my lesson on overtightening and/or not thoroughly checking my work as I go. I did use some permatex copper spray on the pan to hold my cork gasket which could also have created the problem. Now I get to remove all of that shit tonight & prep it again. And use the proper 9ft-lb torque instead of double that LoL.
Yea I made a mess when I did mine too. No way to do it clean unless you had one of those large transmission drain pans. I didn't touch my old filter seal either; my new filter popped in place and was snug so I didn't see the point.

If you don't want to get a $10 HF 1/4" drive torque wrench, do it by feel with a shorter ratchet. Can't get any feel when using a long one. I did 13 ft-lbs for my gasket. From my experience at a shop, 13 ft-lbs is tightening with the head of the ratchet until it stops, and then giving it a tug on the handle after.

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
Gonna ****** it the f*ck out lol, I need to wrap the chrome on the running boards too, but need to replace the driver side one it's a lil tweaked, after that there is no chrome at all, ya I'm thinking I'll get the tails tinted came across this Esky, and I'm thinking 3/4 or so for the drop

8a9cd5d8392d4d536b21ceac2ac1220e.jpg

c90c057bda6059e3fbadee0f5f5277fe.jpg

Love it.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love it.

Same by spring it should be exactly how I want it I'm hoping, mechanically got it running great now just needs a lil bodywork and the other things and I'll be there

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Long post...

Oil change with Mobil 1 high mileage synthetic and Mobil 1 filter. Tire rotation. Emptied the catch can. Gross. So glad this is not in my intake.
20170722_145045.jpg

Then a little plasti dip...
Okay, boys. Which one for the center caps? Or should there be white somewhere? I know they're not perfect, I was just testing my method.
20170722_223646.jpg

Keep in mind my front end is this way (pardon the dirt, been raining like hell)...
20170722_220003.jpg

Color matched this bowtie for the hitch.
20170722_223527.jpg

Gonna put red and/or black dip, but not sure of the scheme yet. Ideas or suggestions, please.

The back hatch logo is like this...
20170722_215946.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts here, guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667