What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TM98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 06 doesn't have a chip. You can have keys cut at any hardware store, but I'm taking my GMC blanks to a local locksmith and having them cut because the big box stores will only cut what they sell, and their blanks are actually Chevy blanks that are a tad longer than GMC blanks - the spare we had cut at HD we have to pull back just a smidge to get it to work in the ignition. Bit of a pita. Compared the Chevy blanks I'd bought for the Suburban I had with the GMC blanks I bought for my Yukon, and sure enough the Chevy ones are longer. Found the same to be true of my husband's Colorado keys, both original and copies. Just an fyi for you fellow GMC people.
Wow. I didn't know that one was longer than the other. That explains why one of the non originals you have to pull out just slightly to work.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also replaced the front Bumpstops, jounce stops, bumpers or whatever they're called. Dorman part number 523-089 or GM part number 15153959 if anyone is curious. Easy to install and make the truck ride quite a bit better. There wasn't much left of the old set.

medium800.jpg

What tools did you need? How long did it take? I'm gonna pick these up this afternoon and have a road trip tonight and was hoping it won't take too long

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
What tools did you need? How long did it take? I'm gonna pick these up this afternoon and have a road trip tonight and was hoping it won't take too long
Super easy. You might just need a long flat head to pry out the old ones and some wd40 or any lube spray to twist in the new ones. There's no hardware holding them in.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super easy. You might just need a long flat head to pry out the old ones and some wd40 or any lube spray to twist in the new ones. There's no hardware holding them in.
Does the truck need to be jacked up or can I do it while it's on the ground?

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically last night, but I changed the fluid in both my front and rear differentials and the transfer case. While I had it apart I installed a new cover on the rear diff and used a LubeLocker gasket when I put it back together.

View attachment 82465

This was my first servicing of the diffs and transfer case since buying the Yukon. The rear diff fluid looked fairly clean, and had been serviced before at some point. Only a little metal dust on the magnet. The front diff appeared to have never been serviced in the 160K on the vehicle. The fluid was dark and opaque. The magnet was covered in a thick layer of fuzzy metal shaving, but no metal chunks or chips.

The transfer case fluid looked clean, but the big surprise was about a quart of extra fluid came out when I opened the fill port before draining the case. A little research suggests that I have a bad input shaft seal on the transfer case and ATF from the transmission is making its way in. I always check the ATF level before I head out to tow (it's on our departure checklist) and have never seen the level drop. I'll keep an eye on it now since the level in the case is where it should be, I'll see how long it takes to loose a quart of ATF. I guess that's another thing to add to my to-do list.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how and when to deal with the transfer case seal are welcome on the thread I had going here:

Servicing Transfer Case and F/R Differentials - Fluid Recommendations?

My Escalade had the same issue with that leaky seal, just took it to a shop pretty sure you just need to drop the transfer case and it's right there wasn't a pricey repair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmeachem

Reaction score
Noticed my front pass tire was low at the market, got home and unloaded and now it's flat. Filled it up and air coming straight out the valve stem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts