what are the differences between a ppv/ssv and regular Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a part number for the WorkTruck Wheels? I assume they are forged which is why they would be lighter? I would always go with a lighter rim no matter WHAT my car/truck was meant for. Reducing rotational mass is 10x as affected as reducing dead weight. So if those rims truly are 2/3rds the weight of the steelies I really need to get some.

10lbs rotational = 100lbs dead weight

As mentioned above you will see much better MPG, but more importantly to me is the power and a LOT less stress on any suspension/drivetrain parts! When it comes to towing that would be more available torque and HP!!

Work Truck wheel GM part # please and/or some pics??

*frown* ... but the energy largely depends on the angular velocity and the radius of the object... besides a car with spinning wheels, is not dead weight. I think the weight of the wheels is negligible considering the weight of the rest of the car.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Ok here's the deal on the wheels, As to why I am keeping my Steelies. I had a slow leak on one of my Wheels, to it to the tire store, he said the inside edge of the rim was bent. No problem they took it off beat it with a hammer and good to go. You cant do that with a cast Aluminum rim. I have a set of cast wheels off of 14 truck just sitting on my back porch. Paid too much for em but that's what happens when you been drinking Beer.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here's the deal on the wheels, As to why I am keeping my Steelies. I had a slow leak on one of my Wheels, to it to the tire store, he said the inside edge of the rim was bent. No problem they took it off beat it with a hammer and good to go. You cant do that with a cast Aluminum rim. I have a set of cast wheels off of 14 truck just sitting on my back porch. Paid too much for em but that's what happens when you been drinking Beer.

*lol*.... yup, I have a Grand Cherokee with that problem, during after winter some crud/rust build up which results in a slow leak. No banging on it, just polish the inside rim pretty much every spring

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
*frown* ... but the energy largely depends on the angular velocity and the radius of the object... besides a car with spinning wheels, is not dead weight. I think the weight of the wheels is negligible considering the weight of the rest of the car.

I don't believe that is the case but I'm not a mathematician it was a rule of thumb I learned at the track....trust me, throw 10lb lighter wheels on each corner and watch the shit eating grins start flowing :D

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that is the case but I'm not a mathematician it was a rule of thumb I learned at the track....trust me, throw 10lb lighter wheels on each corner and watch the shit eating grins start flowing :D

*lol*, I don't know a whole lot about cars, never did any racing, but I can follow directions, and work my way through a shop manual, when it comes to working on cars, I would be a starving mechanic, but get it done.. I am a mathematician though ;)

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It's NOT negligible! dropping 10# per corner, which is a pretty good feat with street wheels, and the car will accelerate like it weighs about 100# less. Additionally, it takes energy to get that mass moving. The less energy you have to put in = better MPGs. You will feel the difference.

badandyturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's NOT negligible! dropping 10# per corner, which is a pretty good feat with street wheels, and the car will accelerate like it weighs about 100# less. Additionally, it takes energy to get that mass moving. The less energy you have to put in = better MPGs. You will feel the difference.

Rotating mass is very significant.

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to find the lightest, best performance tire/wheel combo nearest the stock 29.5 diameter. Seems like the best max-performance summer tires only appear in the 275/45-20 sizes, which are not light, and still only have like 3 expensive tire choices. And that, looks like a 70 pound tire/wheel combination from what I've found so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz