what are the differences between a ppv/ssv and regular Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I recently bought this 2013 Tahoe, not too old 'low' miles for towing and because of the cargo space (no 3rd row seats) for weekends and road trips.

Anyway, there seem to be some things (I am discovering) that seem different. The hitch for example has a small white box/panel next to it with a bunch of buttons (it says 'kidde' on it(?))

But more general, are there any significant difference between a ppv/ssv and regular Tahoe?

Ron

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Welcome Ron, Need pictures, especially of the hitch.

PPV/SSV units are built with heavy duty cooling systems, larger alternators. skid plates
most have less goodies as to keep the costs down, Most are built without roof racks, OnStar, fog lamps, center consoles, side moulding and lack of emblems. rubber steering wheel with no radio controls, and no DIC

most will have steel wheels, cloth front seats with vinyl rear seats with no 3rd row seat vinyl floor covering.
They all have extra wiring for installation of radios and lights

SSV Special Service Vehicle is 4 wheel drive
PPV Police Pursuit Vehicle 2 wheel drive not set up for towing and lowered from the factory.

lets see some pics!

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome Ron, Need pictures, especially of the hitch.

PPV/SSV units are built with heavy duty cooling systems, larger alternators. skid plates
most have less goodies as to keep the costs down, Most are built without roof racks, OnStar, fog lamps, center consoles, side moulding and lack of emblems. rubber steering wheel with no radio controls, and no DIC

most will have steel wheels, cloth front seats with vinyl rear seats with no 3rd row seat vinyl floor covering.
They all have extra wiring for installation of radios and lights

SSV Special Service Vehicle is 4 wheel drive
PPV Police Pursuit Vehicle 2 wheel drive not set up for towing and lowered from the factory.

lets see some pics!

Mine is 4wd, so I guess that makes it an SSV (I have the impression it is lifted a bit?) It has power seats (driver passenger). Indeed no fog lamps (can they be added?) No side molding, but do have the bowtie emblems. I have no idea what a DIC is. I like it that it doesn't have the 3rd row (I was already wondering what to do with the 3rd row seats, since I want the vehicle for towing and the cargo space.) Yes on the steel wheel and the vinyl/rubber flooring (I like that, with the dirt/mud/snow around here). I figured the extra wiring etc.

Here are a few pics. Hitch, console area and windshield. (wondering what the white box on the hitch is, the black lid 'thing' the center console would go over (it says "do not step on" and what is this thing next to the mirror? and what are these "extra parts" in the last pic?

IMG_0688.JPG IMG_0681.JPG IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0683.JPG

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
btw: I can post a few more pics, but don't want to hose the thread.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The thing mounted to your hitch is a key locker... if you knew the combination there is probably a spare key in it in case you got locked out.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing mounted to your hitch is a key locker... if you knew the combination there is probably a spare key in it in case you got locked out.

Ahh.. ok... Hmm.. I don't know the combo, wonder if I'll ever find out
(I no one at the dealership knows the combo, I probably would have to try some different method to get it open or removed). Do these things have a default/factory combo (in case someone set it back to that ... yeah right .. hahaha)

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Ahh.. ok... Hmm.. I don't know the combo, wonder if I'll ever find out
(I no one at the dealership knows the combo, I probably would have to try some different method to get it open or removed). Do these things have a default/factory combo (in case someone set it back to that ... yeah right .. hahaha)

Hammer and chisel. Maybe a drill.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hammer and chisel. Maybe a drill.

Yeah it doesn't look like it is going to be a whole lot of work. Also, I went through some sheets of paper I found in the glove box, with some names on it.. Maybe I'll try to contact them first.

update: There are a bunch of videos on youtube on how to figure out the code on these things, so I might just try that.

Last edited:

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
I have no idea what a DIC is.

Ron, a DIC is a driver information center , It can display a lot of info about your car. the police/ govt vehicles don't have them but the wiring harness is right behind the panel. switch is like 20 bucks and you will have to modify the dash trim.

the black lid 'thing' the center console would go over (it says "do not step on"

That thing is your airbag sensor.

looks like you have the wing nut for the jack, and a piece of seat closeout trim

Ron lets see some pictures of the outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz