Weird thumping sound from front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I have some type of thumping sound coming from the front end I think on my 2010 Tahoe LT. It thumps with every revolution of the wheel and gets faster as the vehicle speeds up. I replaced pads and rotors back in November. Seems to drive smooth at speed and stops with no shimmy. I hear no roaring as you would with a bad wheel bearing. Any idea what this could be? Bad tire maybe? All input will be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to diagnose without us hearing it. Is it 4WD?

You could rotate the tires front-to-back, one side at a time. If the sound moves, you've isolated it to a single bad tire.

OP
OP
chilleblanco36

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to diagnose without us hearing it. Is it 4WD?

You could rotate the tires front-to-back, one side at a time. If the sound moves, you've isolated it to a single bad tire.

It’s 2WD. I’m taking it to have the tires rotated and balanced one day next week. I was going to let them check the tires as well. I thought maybe I had a screw in a tire as that’s what it sounds like, but nothing. I checked all 4.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s 2WD. I’m taking it to have the tires rotated and balanced one day next week. I was going to let them check the tires as well. I thought maybe I had a screw in a tire as that’s what it sounds like, but nothing. I checked all 4.

A screw usually makes a "ticking" sound. A bad tire (separated belt, etc.) can make a "thwomping" sound. Notice any odd tire wear or not all tread blocks dirty from contacting the road?

OP
OP
chilleblanco36

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A screw usually makes a "ticking" sound. A bad tire (separated belt, etc.) can make a "thwomping" sound. Notice any odd tire wear or not all tread blocks dirty from contacting the road?

Doesn’t appear to be. Tires are in great shape appearance wise.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My left hub is making the whomp whomp sound right now. More noticeable at low speed, only 10 degrees warmer than other hub. I fixed it by turning the radio up louder until we order all the parts to redo the front brakes.

OP
OP
chilleblanco36

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My left hub is making the whomp whomp sound right now. More noticeable at low speed, only 10 degrees warmer than other hub. I fixed it by turning the radio up louder until we order all the parts to redo the front brakes.

It doesn’t look like a hard job to replace the hubs at all. The big question is which hubs to purchase? Local parts store or dealer which I know will be sky high. My vehicle has 120k miles and they failed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boromircalantir