Water in my doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Theresa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
there is an abundance of water filling up in my rear door panels of my 2014 Tahoe? Window seems super loose. Brody it to dealer and they told me they were meant to fill and drain through bottom of door panel. I feel like it's going to become a rust box really quick. I know this has been an issue in the past with other Tahoes and yukons .. Anyone have any ideas on how to rectify this situation ? TIA

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there was a post on here from a gm service rep that said it was completely normal for water to enter and drain inside the door. if you dont want the water in there, get some puddy to seal the weep holes, but, by doing that, the moisture may become trapped in there and pool with no way to drain, causing even more rust and corrosion.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there was a post on here from a gm service rep that said it was completely normal for water to enter and drain inside the door. if you dont want the water in there, get some puddy to seal the weep holes, but, by doing that, the moisture may become trapped in there and pool with no way to drain, causing even more rust and corrosion.

Basically yup.

Water will ALWAYS get in to your door. there's no way to completely seal it off if you ever want to roll your windows down.

There are holes in the bottom of every door that should be allowing the water to drain out. If water is staying in them, the drains are plugged. Take a nail or screwdriver and try to unplug them

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are plugs in the weep holes. I was told to take out some of the plugs.
At the very least clean them. Taking one or 2 out wont hurt but now leaves a larger hole in bottom of door, no big deal again but i guess rubber is there to keep large bugs out....;)... kidding...? Aesthetics

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually have to reach down and pull the seal away from the bottom of the door with my finger to get mine to start draining. Doesn't seem that mine are clogged but the rubber weatherstrip at the bottom seals them up when the door is closed. The plugs you guys are talking about are the plugs that hold this rubber strip on? That is the only plugs I see.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually have to reach down and pull the seal away from the bottom of the door with my finger to get mine to start draining. Doesn't seem that mine are clogged but the rubber weatherstrip at the bottom seals them up when the door is closed. The plugs you guys are talking about are the plugs that hold this rubber strip on? That is the only plugs I see.

Iirc there are 2-3 oval plugs with a rubber flap in them at underside of door .... def on hatch

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen the ones on the hatch, I need to get a mirror and look closer to the doors I guess.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen the ones on the hatch, I need to get a mirror and look closer to the doors I guess.

Im wrong kenny, you are absolutely right....the plastic clips/holes apparently double as the drains
Grabbed this off google...

However, for the newer Tahoes, the weatherstripping and the plastic screw/clips that hold it on place fasten into the drain holes (vs. separate / open drain holes like in the picture above).

The plastic fastener clips do have vertical channels cut into them to let the water drain out, but, not enough to prevent dirt/ debris from clogging them up. And, it doesn't take a whole lot to clog them.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I can just lift the seal away from the door and it just flows out of the corners of the door but if the doors are closed, the seal keeps them shut and no water drains. So I got to make it a habit to open the rear doors after a rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick