Tune up/fluid change Recomendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwiztidXL

Reaction score
I just picked up my 05 Denali 6.0 last week. I'm a firm believer in changing out all the basics upon acquiring a new to me vehicle so I know when and who did the last general maintenance. That being said I did search and found nothing concrete for answers to some questions that I have for general tune up info.

1. Spark Plugs - Delco, Bosch, other???? I worked in parts for years and the general consensus for GM's I got was stick with the OE Delcos or Bosch platinum 4's. A good friend of mine worked for a TPI performance shop and they showed that the old TPI motors LOVED Bosch plugs. Do you stick with the stock heat range or run hotter or colder plugs??

Fluids - is there anything that I should stay away from? I generally run full synthetics but I came from a turbo Subaru and they are quite particular when it comes to brands and what not ie - Mobil 1 very bad for a boxer engine. Just looking for recommendations for the engine, trans, diff

3. Plug wires - Is there a particular brand that is the hands down preferred? Or just stick with a good quality MSD, Delco, etc

Is there anything else that you guys/gals would recommend me to look at or address as this is my first GM v8 I've personally owned. A big thanks before hand and sorry if I did miss answers/threads to these questions in my trolling the past few days.

Red_Raider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. I have always used Bosch plugs. I usually stick with stock heat range, but I guess get the range that works best for your climate area.

2. I only run Valvoline full synthetic on the fluids, but that's just me.

3. MSD or Bosch premium wires

ulakovic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valvoline oil, dino or synthetic.
AC Delco plugs here, stock replacements
Firecore wires, hate MSD. Stock wires will get damaged most of the time when you pull them off. You'll have to get a couple extensions and knuckle to get to all the plugs from the bottom.

Tahoe0159

Reaction score
I do a PCV valve every three years or so, just as a matter of course.

Depending on how many miles it has, might want to do a fuel filter too. Cheap and never hurts to do it.

Of course, the nomal "belts and hoses" should all be checked and replaced as needed.

If you don't have maintenance records, might as well plan for cooling system drain and fill, and the inevitable tranny drain and fill with filter.

Grease gun? Good. Front end needs lube every so often.

Or you can do like my son does, just drive it till something breaks.

Seems to work for him! (of course, then I have to fix it)

Last edited:
OP
OP
TwiztidXL

TwiztidXL

Reaction score
I do a PCV valve every three years or so, just as a matter of course.

Depending on how many miles it has, might want to do a fuel filter too. Cheap and never hurts to do it.

Of course, the nomal "belts and hoses" should all be checked and replaced as needed.

If you don't have maintenance records, might as well plan for cooling system drain and fill, and the inevitable tranny drain and fill with filter.

Grease gun? Good. Front end needs lube every so often.

Or you can do like my son does, just drive it till something breaks.

Seems to work for him! (of course, then I have to fix it)

LOL definitely not doing the "run it till it breaks" method. I have a family and it is used as the family hauler. I looked at the belts and hoses quick but will def inspect closer. Thanks for the added suggestions.

Last edited:

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 60k tune up did this:

1) AC Delco IR plugs gapped in accordance with then TSB that was posted .04 now(if memory serves me right

2) fluids - OIL - Royal Purple / Trans - AC Delco DEXRON 6 / Differentials Royal Purple 75w90

3) I went with MSD 8.5MM Super Conductor Wires

It made the truck smoother across the board for me...... Opinions will very owner to owner...... but this is what I did and works for me. I can get up 22mpg on the highway and that with the old school 4L60-e (RPO code - M30)

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi. Check out this list: https://www.amazon.com/registry/wishlist/3HZE44CNI72JV/ref=cm_sw_r_it_wl_o_68UQvb2MWP4FG

White wix filter, the valvoline oil and the ngk tr6 plugs.
Stay away from mSd wires, there are known to cause misfires.
Oem wires are just fine. No need for anything else.

Use the b12 on that list to clean the throttle body. Remove it to clean it.
Run seafoam or trans fluid in the oil for a couple days before oil change.
But change the filter before running it. Any cheap filter will do, or that wix.

If you have a lot of oil residue in the intake manifold. Remove and clean it with the b12. Might aswell change knock sensors and the harness while it's off.

Last edited:

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
I just picked up my 05 Denali 6.0 last week. I'm a firm believer in changing out all the basics upon acquiring a new to me vehicle so I know when and who did the last general maintenance. That being said I did search and found nothing concrete for answers to some questions that I have for general tune up info.

1. Spark Plugs - Delco, Bosch, other???? I worked in parts for years and the general consensus for GM's I got was stick with the OE Delcos or Bosch platinum 4's. A good friend of mine worked for a TPI performance shop and they showed that the old TPI motors LOVED Bosch plugs. Do you stick with the stock heat range or run hotter or colder plugs??

Fluids - is there anything that I should stay away from? I generally run full synthetics but I came from a turbo Subaru and they are quite particular when it comes to brands and what not ie - Mobil 1 very bad for a boxer engine. Just looking for recommendations for the engine, trans, diff

3. Plug wires - Is there a particular brand that is the hands down preferred? Or just stick with a good quality MSD, Delco, etc

Is there anything else that you guys/gals would recommend me to look at or address as this is my first GM v8 I've personally owned. A big thanks before hand and sorry if I did miss answers/threads to these questions in my trolling the past few days.

How may miles?
History?
Maintenance records?

If it's over 100K miles and has no service history, it would be wise to do plugs. If it was mine with that unknown history and you have the know-how/tools, I'd pull the intake manifold off, clean the throttle body, replace the intake gaskets, replace the knock sensors while there and also the oil pressure sending unit as these are all pattern failures after 100K. Those three things amount to 60-70% of the failures that come into my shop on these 5.3's and 6.0's.

As far as oil inside the intake runners, that's expected. It's going to be oily at that mileage and really doesn't cause much harm if not excessive and crusty as it is a product of the PCV emissions system. If you are worried about that just run a catch-can inline between the PCV and the intake manifiold. More important is no gum/gunk on the throttle body plate edges and contacting surfaces. That will hurt idle performance and fuel trim at idle which could cause catalytic converter failure.

As for fluids, run synthetic anything if you can. Keeps seals from swelling and leaking at that mileage as well as just being a better oil (less breakdown).

Last edited:

Freemanke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Save the oil. I too recently purchased a similar platform. 03 yukon. Check out Blackstone Labs. Theyre sending me a free kit and will run a full oil analysis for 25 bucks. Im actually interested in seeing what this135k mile LQ4 has been up too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove

Latest posts