Transmission fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmg88201

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 2002 Yukon and I always have the tranny fluid and filter change every 50,000. The mechanic told me that now they use a synthetic tranny fluid. Would this be okay to use in a 22 year old Yukon. Original fluid is not synthetic and never had synthetic tranny fluid used in all the past fluid changes.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about Dexron VI? That's what superceded Dexron III that was originally specified for your vehicle, somewhere like in 2006.

I use the O'Reilly's brand of Dex 6 on my GMT800s. I have several with the 4L80e transmissions, so I buy the 5 gallon pails for doing ATF fluid replacement myself.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 2002 Yukon and I always have the tranny fluid and filter change every 50,000. The mechanic told me that now they use a synthetic tranny fluid. Would this be okay to use in a 22 year old Yukon. Original fluid is not synthetic and never had synthetic tranny fluid used in all the past fluid changes.
It's fine but not really worth the squeeze in the 4Ls IMO as any decent brand of standard Dex/Merc changed at 30-35k intervals will work, though it wouldn't hurt the trans in any way, shape or form. If this was a fresh rebuild and used in a very heavy duty application (or racing) it may be worth switching over but not for a daily driver...If you had a 6L trans, Dex6 full synthetic is all you would use.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
B

bmg88201

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Changing my tranny fluid and filter is one thing I don’t do myself. The transmission shop in town told me that now all they use is the synthetic type for GM’s. So I was just wondering if it would be compatible with a 22 y/o Yukon. Heck, if the mechanic hadn’t mentioned it I would have never given it a thought and just booked an appointment, assuming it would be what has always be used to service the tranny in the past fluid changes. I’ve got no issue with the tranny, it’s just due for a fluid/filter change. Once again thanks for the input.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Changing my tranny fluid and filter is one thing I don’t do myself. The transmission shop in town told me that now all they use is the synthetic type for GM’s. So I was just wondering if it would be compatible with a 22 y/o Yukon. Heck, if the mechanic hadn’t mentioned it I would have never given it a thought and just booked an appointment, assuming it would be what has always be used to service the tranny in the past fluid changes. I’ve got no issue with the tranny, it’s just due for a fluid/filter change. Once again thanks for the input.
Dex6 is perfectly fine, no issues...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts