Tune options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my PPV tuned and honestly, my factory tune felt better.
I'll probably get roasted for this. This whole tuning thing, to me, has not been worth it.
What kind of tune, and by who?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is just my experience and my honest opinion.

The tune = In person, dyno and road.
They were both done by two of the leading GM specific shops in my area.
First shop did not share anything with me, literally nothing and they never saved my factory tune file. They also did something to my trans which they could not find nor could the second shop or any local dealer.
Second shop let me stay and watch from start to finish, much better service and they even let me go in for adjustments for free.
My biggest issue is the lunging forward when starting from a stopped position. I've come close to hitting people in traffic or parking lots because of this. This is also the main reason why my wife wont drive it.

Now, this might not be a good comparison but my previous 99dr had full exhaust and your every day bolt ons plus a built trans and yank billet 3200 stall. No tuning at all to the trans or engine. That truck ran like a bat outta hell and surprised a lot of people, including myself haha. Man I miss that truck. You could cruise without hesitation down any road in traffic whatever. My 07 is so sketchy my wife wont drive it, literally will not drive it at all even to park it or pull it in the driveway.
That's enough of me ranting :)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is just my experience and my honest opinion.

The tune = In person, dyno and road.
They were both done by two of the leading GM specific shops in my area.
First shop did not share anything with me, literally nothing and they never saved my factory tune file. They also did something to my trans which they could not find nor could the second shop or any local dealer.
Second shop let me stay and watch from start to finish, much better service and they even let me go in for adjustments for free.
My biggest issue is the lunging forward when starting from a stopped position. I've come close to hitting people in traffic or parking lots because of this. This is also the main reason why my wife wont drive it.

Now, this might not be a good comparison but my previous 99dr had full exhaust and your every day bolt ons plus a built trans and yank billet 3200 stall. No tuning at all to the trans or engine. That truck ran like a bat outta hell and surprised a lot of people, including myself haha. Man I miss that truck. You could cruise without hesitation down any road in traffic whatever. My 07 is so sketchy my wife wont drive it, literally will not drive it at all even to park it or pull it in the driveway.
That's enough of me ranting :)
Those shops failed you, that sucks. But that's not what happens with a good tuner. Should have had BlackBear Performance do the tune. You'd be amazed how much more power you'd have and how much better your trans shifts. Plus theirs are lifetime tunes and they will keep tuning it until you're happy. Mine is so much more fun to drive now it's crazy. That's why I asked who did your tune. I bought the Autocal and it allows me to drive around and log data then email the file to them so they can analyze it, then they email my tune back and I download it into the Autocal and then into my ECU. I'm in the process of installing a Whipple supercharger and they're going to send me a new tune when it's installed so I'll be ready to go. No matter what I do performance wise, they will re-tune it for life. Ask anybody here on the forum about BlackBear and you'll hear the same thing.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those shops failed you, that sucks. But that's not what happens with a good tuner. Should have had BlackBear Performance do the tune. You'd be amazed how much more power you'd have and how much better your trans shifts. Plus theirs are lifetime tunes and they will keep tuning it until you're happy. Mine is so much more fun to drive now it's crazy. That's why I asked who did your tune. I bought the Autocal and it allows me to drive around and log data then email the file to them so they can analyze it, then they email my tune back and I download it into the Autocal and then into my ECU. I'm in the process of installing a Whipple supercharger and they're going to send me a new tune when it's installed so I'll be ready to go. No matter what I do performance wise, they will re-tune it for life. Ask anybody here on the forum about BlackBear and you'll hear the same thing.

You're right, I should've gone with BB. Unfortunately I am intimidated by this autocal and dealing with email and downloading stuff. I have a hard enough time turning on my computer never mind having to download stuff. The last thing I'd want is for BB to get annoyed with me either calling or emailing because I don't understand this or that when it comes to the autocal.
How fast is the turnaround time for a tune or a re-tune?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can take up to a week I've heard but it's only taken a couple days for me. They have other options as well besides the Autocal. Check out their website for more info. They travel to certain places also, maybe they'll be in your area in the future and you can get an in-person tune.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please get an actual dyno tune... mail order tunes cant do all that much...

Yes I've had in-person, mail order (Black Bear), and now dyno tune. Hands down dyno tune is the best way to go.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BlackBear will utilize any dyno pulls you do as well. I will have a few runs done on a dyno after installing my blower and I'll have BB fine-tune my fuel trims. They can do anything and everything with a tune sent via e-mail and installed through an Autocal.. I'm not sure what you mean by a "mail-order" tune. That's a term that's not generally used for a custom tune done via Autocal. It's more often used for a "one-size-fits-all" type of tune. What exact type of tune did you get through BlackBear?

OP
OP
S

Samuraj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and because i tried few ECM upgrade in the past ... jeep , trans am , ram , mustang ..lesson lean , for daily driver ....staying stock .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e