Tune options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LiLRedWagon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's a great question. and I'm looking forward to an answer. I've read all the benefits of an aftermarket tune, especially after adding components (headers, intake, etc)
Stock police tune (unique in itself) already feels pretty impressive to the butt dyno in that it's not "just another Tahoe." That's one reason why I bought a PPV vs. a Standard Tahoe

So why change and has anyone done it?

Last edited:

DaRosa218

The Dude abides
Reaction score
Step One- Black Bear Performance Tune
Step Two- Open a Beer, look at your Tahoe and enjoy the enhancements!

Many will agree that Black Bear Performance is the ultimate way to go as they tap into the true potential of our trucks and extremely reputable.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I didn't know ppv's have a different tune then civilian rigs. This also goes for the nbs also? I can guess top speed is taken out, but what else would be different?

DaRosa218

The Dude abides
Reaction score
Essentially, Here's what the PPV/SSV Tahoe's have VS our Civilian Models:

ALTERNATOR 160-AMP with Idle Boost (Transmission in Park or Neutral) Based on Battery Energy Level
AIR CLEANER High-Capacity with Air Filter Restriction Indicator
BATTERY Heavy-Duty 730 CCA with Battery Rundown Protection (Does Not Protect Customer Installed Equipment)
BRAKES Heavy Duty 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Front and Rear Disc with Vacuum Boost Power Assist
COOLING Heavy Duty High Capacity Radiator and Electric Fans
ENGINE Vortec 5300 V8 SFI with Active Fuel Management, Flex-Fuel (Gas or E85 Ethanol); Top Speed Fuel Cut-Off at 125 MPH;
Includes Air Conditioning Wide Open Throttle Cut Off
FRAME Full Perimeter, Modular with Hydroformed Rails
FUEL TANK CAPACITY 26 Gallon (100 Liters)
OIL COOLERS Engine Heavy Duty, Transmission Heavy Duty, Power Steering Auxiliary Air-to-Oil (See Page 8 for Description)
PROP SHAFT High Speed Balanced Aluminum, Four Inch Diameter
RADIO SUPPRESSION Grounding Straps, at Five Additional Locations (See Page 9 For Locations)
SKID PLATE Front Underbody Shield Starting Behind Front Bumper and Running to 2nd Cross-Member Protecting Front Underbody and
Oil Pan
SPARK PLUGS Extended Life - Iridium Tip
STABILITRAK Not Available on Police Package (Tahoe Police Package has been Designed with a Lower Center of Gravity and Enhanced
Suspension System)
STEERING Power, Rack and Pinion
SUSPENSION, FRONT Coil-Over-Shock with Stabilizer Bar
SUSPENSION, REAR Multi-Link with Coil Springs, Shocks and Heavy Duty Stabilizer Bar
TIRES Goodyear P265/60R17 All-Season, Blackwall, H-Rated
TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR CHECK TIRE PRESSURE (Includes Sensor to Spare Tire) Spare Tire Sensor not Programmed
TIRE SPARE Full-Size Spare, Lockable with Outside Winch-Type Carrier Mounted Under Frame at Rear
TRACTION CONTROL Not Available on Police Package (PPV)
TRAILERING EQUIPMENT Not Available on Police Package (PPV)
TRANSMISSION Enhanced Calibration 4-Speed Automatic w/Overdrive
WHEELS Heavy Duty Black Steel 17" x 7.5"
WHEEL CENTER CAP Polished Finish Bolt-on Metal

As you see, no difference in the way of HP increase etc Engine wise other than the top speed fuel cut off hits at 125MPH as opposed to 95MPH.

This was a long and heated debate between guys who bought used P71 Crown Victoria's vs Factory HPP Crown Victoria's as they swore the P71's had a "Special Police Tune" when in fact they don't other than a higher MPH fuel cut off, shift firmness improved and better shifting points. NOTHING in way of HP increase vs HPP models.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Samuraj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What black bear tune will give me ?
My experience... I blow out trans on ram hemi after 130.000 miles on hand held programmer ...

DaRosa218

The Dude abides
Reaction score
Black Bear Performance is custom tuned to your liking, they are not a "Off the shelf" tune like most handhelds. Check out Black Bear Performance for more specifics.

I would also get in touch with @JennaBear as she is the Representative/Owner and a member of this site for all your concerns, questions and comments about their tunes. 99.9% of us use their products and have had nothing but successful results :)

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my PPV tuned and honestly, my factory tune felt better.
I'll probably get roasted for this. This whole tuning thing, to me, has not been worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE