trouble starting after sitting for a bit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archtoker420

Reaction score
So my 99 yukon started a new issue today out of no where. After sitting for a bit like 30 min or more it has a hard time starting unless i gibe it gas. Starts right up as soon as i hit the pedel while cranking. Read somewhere it could be fuel pressure regulator? Any advice??

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sounds exactly how my father's Mercury behaved, and it was the FPR. Pull off the vacuum line from the FPR and take a gentle sniff. If you smell gasoline, the FPR is bad.

Larry

OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
Alright thanks. Is that something hard to replace or fairly simple?

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never done it on the Tahoe, but I've done it on easily on my Lesabre and Mercury.

Do my sniff test first to make sure, then:

1) depressurize the fuel system (unscrew the plastic cap on the left side of the fuel rail).
2) using a rag and wearing goggles, depress the stem and hold until no more fuel comes out.
3) Place a rag under the FPR, remove the fuel regulator vacuum line, then, wearing goggles, remove the fuel regulator. (Once I did have some residual fuel pressure and it sprayed over me as little.) (I'm not sure about the Tahoe, but it's usually a bolt, then it just wiggles out)
4) Insert new FPR, reattach hose.

Larry

OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
Doesnt sound to bad. Just to be sure im looking at the right thing is ir located on top of the motor drivers side has a little hose coming off? I took the little hose and it smelled like fuel a little

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you found it. It shouldn't smell like fuel at all. What's likely happening is that the residual vacuum after shutting off is sucking still-pressurized fuel into the intake and flooding the engine. By pressing the gas pedal, it clears out the excess gasoline so it will start.

Larry

OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
Awesome. Ill post a pic to make sure but its raining as of now. Doesnt look hard if it is it. I appreciate your help man

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
On the 5.7 Vortec, the FPR is integral to the fuel spider. Meaning the upper intake has to come off and a new fuel spider assembly has to be installed. Not super difficult, but not just a simple FPR replacement as described above.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the 5.7 Vortec, the FPR is integral to the fuel spider. Meaning the upper intake has to come off and a new fuel spider assembly has to be installed. Not super difficult, but not just a simple FPR replacement as described above.

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if it's the same on the 5.3L? I hope not. I'm not sure about the 5.7 Vortec, but it wasn't all that nice removing the intake from my 5.3L.

Larry

OP
OP
Archtoker420

Archtoker420

Reaction score
Where exactlty is the fpr? I dont even know where to look. Ill take a pic of what i thought it was as soon as the rain stops. But if someone could point me to wjere to look

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157