Transmission fluid/filter change - gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming up on 30k miles on our 2019 Tahoe and time for a minor tune up, air and cabin filter, transmission service. Looking at a replacement OE AC filter and it doesn't come with a pan gasket, can't find a PN for an OE type gasket either. So, question, is the factory filter re-usable? I'd rather have a new one but I have seen on older GM automatics the gasket with the metal inserts at the bolt holes and even with high miles the re-used gasket worked fine. Anyone have a part number for the factory replacement filter? Thanks, Tom

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming up on 30k miles on our 2019 Tahoe and time for a minor tune up, air and cabin filter, transmission service. Looking at a replacement OE AC filter and it doesn't come with a pan gasket, can't find a PN for an OE type gasket either. So, question, is the factory filter re-usable? I'd rather have a new one but I have seen on older GM automatics the gasket with the metal inserts at the bolt holes and even with high miles the re-used gasket worked fine. Anyone have a part number for the factory replacement filter? Thanks, Tom
If the pan gasket is rubber with impregnated rubber, it is reusable. Just do a fluid exchange and leave the filter alone.

Plug your VIN in at GMPartsGiant and check the numbers. I show 24274402 for 6.2 equipped Tahoes. Pan gasket might be 24297886.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am of the opinion that a partial fluid change and a filter change is fine at anywhere between 30k-50k miles. "Maintenance pays and breakdowns cost". It may be early maintenance but I have always done early maintenance with no problems and it is always less expensive than a breakdown. I know it is not a guarantee against a breakdown, but again, it cannot hurt.

OP
OP
tom3

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info here. I like to change the filter and partial fluid change pretty often, mainly want to see what's in the bottom of the pan. See a good video on YT and the guy got the pan off without moving anything out of the way but I'll still get the exhaust gaskets to have if needed. And he dropped the front of the pan a couple inches without spilling a lot of fluid, usually make a big mess just loosening the bolts on the older stuff.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info here. I like to change the filter and partial fluid change pretty often, mainly want to see what's in the bottom of the pan. See a good video on YT and the guy got the pan off without moving anything out of the way but I'll still get the exhaust gaskets to have if needed. And he dropped the front of the pan a couple inches without spilling a lot of fluid, usually make a big mess just loosening the bolts on the older stuff.
You can use this to empty the pan ahead of time through the dipstick tube. I use this thing every week just about for projects. One of the best tools I own. Highly recommend for fluid extractions. Price is dropped too.

OP
OP
tom3

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And another question, why is this so complicated just to get parts.... But what fluid to use the 2019 for the partial fill? Synthetic or regular, both are called Dexron VI and about the same price. What came in it as OE? I don't like mixing oils in anything.

OP
OP
tom3

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Logged into the GM site, entered the VIN got all kinds of info there. Thanks for the tip on that. Regular dino Dexron VI fluid for mine. Didn't see a fuel filter listed on that site either, none to be found seems like but I'm not worried about that for a good while. Kind of odd that my Tahoe is listed as a flex fuel, nothing on the vehicle indicates that, and I'm not going to test it. See those metal exhaust seals are $20+ on Amazon, about $7 at Advance Auto and in stock.

Wife found out I was ordering stuff from Amazon, there went some serious cash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019