2018 Chevy Tahoe transmission fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No harm done - maybe slightly wasteful - not really when you consider the cost of things these days. If you were paying a shop to do fluid changes every 10,000 miles that would be a different story. Do you just stick the vacuum tube down the dipstick tube and into the transmission pan?
Exactly. I have the $15 hand pump from harbor freight. A clear hose that goes into the transmission dip stick tube and a clear tube on the "out" side of the hand pump that goes into an empty milk jug.
I pump until what the hose reaches runs out, which is pretty much an empty pan (I know this because I do this before ever dropping the pan and very little is left in the pan after the hose stops picking anything up).

Then I just refill, with a funnel, exactly what I took out.
Takes minimal time, effort, and money and keeps things clean.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I have the $15 hand pump from harbor freight. A clear hose that goes into the transmission dip stick tube and a clear tube on the "out" side of the hand pump that goes into an empty milk jug.
I pump until what the hose reaches runs out, which is pretty much an empty pan (I know this because I do this before ever dropping the pan and very little is left in the pan after the hose stops picking anything up).

Then I just refill, with a funnel, exactly what I took out.
Takes minimal time, effort, and money and keeps things clean.

What kind of pump are you using?

I used to have a MityVac for brake bleeding, but upgraded to this. I haven't used it for transmission service but you can remove the brake bleeder zerk adapter and just have the end of the clear hose to stick down the dipstick tube. Of course you'd have to multiple the reservoir at least 4 times as it holds about 1 quart.

92924_W3[1].jpg

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of pump are you using?

I used to have a MityVac for brake bleeding, but upgraded to this. I haven't used it for transmission service but you can remove the brake bleeder zerk adapter and just have the end of the clear hose to stick down the dipstick tube. Of course you'd have to multiple the reservoir at least 4 times as it holds about 1 quart.

View attachment 414000

This super fancy $7 pump with some clear tubing and plumbing tape haha
It doesn't look nice but it works!

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem 70k milage, but i car owner from start. 2018 Tahoe
Dealer is really pushing to change transmission fluid. But i have not done it yet,
I have another car toyota which is easy 100k without changing transmission oil. DO i really need it?
Yes. You absolutely should change it. The sooner the better with these vehicles.

This super fancy $7 pump with some clear tubing and plumbing tape haha
It doesn't look nice but it works!
Is there a reason you don’t use the “flush method” via the trans cooler hose? Obviously your route doesn’t seem very difficult either, so it’s more of a curiosity question than anything.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem 70k milage, but i car owner from start. 2018 Tahoe
Dealer is really pushing to change transmission fluid. But i have not done it yet,
I have another car toyota which is easy 100k without changing transmission oil. DO i really need it?
The consensus among owners of these transmissions suggest changing it at 50k.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason you don’t use the “flush method” via the trans cooler hose? Obviously your route doesn’t seem very difficult either, so it’s more of a curiosity question than anything.
No real reason. Purely simplicity and quickness. I could try the other method as well sometime but I've just gotten in a routine that I can do almost with my eyes shut at this point.

J5races

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What about for Tahoe with the 10-speed. I don't have a dipstick In the engine bay.

Anyone serviced their 10-speed trans?

Thank you
Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts