Trans free spinning on 1600 mile trip.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I did a 1600 mile trip in my 2008 Yukon Denali, and with the hammer down when passing at 70 to 80mph it will rev like it missed a gear or something up to 6000 rpm. Doesn't do it every time and no codes. It has 120k on it, and I've owned it from new. I've changed the fluid about three times from new and the fluid is full and doesn't smell burnt, no leaks. Any ideas?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
My wife’s 07 convertible beetle is doing that. Time for a trans service. 120k seems about right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
02Lightning

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife’s 07 convertible beetle is doing that. Time for a trans service. 120k seems about right

Trans. service? As in drain the oil and replace filter? I'm not sure there is anything else to do on these is there? 6L80E is the trans in these right?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Ha ha, the symptom not the vehicle. Those of us who dare to own non GM products tend know how they stack up against other brands, both the highs and lows.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it happened once or twice in the past and is ok now it’s probably not a clutch pack as it would be toast and not intermittent. Probably a soloenoid in the trans, or wiring issue.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
yea that, solenoid or converter most likely since the transmission does not use pressure to determine shift points, the tehcm basically shifts the trans via solenoids when told to, no bands to slip, and no servos to leak/hang up. Your problem is it isnt a failure yet, I question not throwing a code, it just isnt a dtc, free spinning to 6k is ******* clutches. there are some really good youtube vid,s that show complete teardown and issues related to slippage. either way you should find someone proficient with a TECH2 that can run diagnostics and shifts to possibly pinpoint it. I have the same trans with 137,000 and i know my time is coming too.

OP
OP
02Lightning

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty tough to describe, it's like the gear is holding, and then when it's gets to a point where it should shift, it's just like it's in neutral. I back off the throttle, and it works as normal again. I also would have thought the rev limiter would have caught it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts