Torque Coverter acting strange after shift kit install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eswarden

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
97 2 door Tahoe 4X4 with 129,000 miles. I installed a Transgo HD 2 shift kit. Now, my torque converter acts like a higher stall converter. When you put in gear it engages fine, but takes a bit more gas to start rolling than before the install. It doesn't engage easy. It's like it slips some then boom, it kicks in. I'm throwing my ignorance out there for all to hear, but is that normal? Also, when I'm cruising down the road and let off the gas, the torque converter comes out of lock for a little bit and if I don't hit the gas again, it will go into a neutral state where the RPM's drop down to idle. Any thoughts? Thanks all!

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds normal with a shift you usually sacrafise ride quality for a firm snap yer head back quick shift so there is almost no slip when the clutch packs are applied ha if you think it shifts hard now throw a vette servo in it
when i rebuillt my tahoe tranny i did a vette servo a stage 1 shift kit and a higher stall torque converter and itd shift so hard to were i could get a chirp outta second gear if i really put my foot into it

OP
OP
E

eswarden

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. Yeah I did a vette servo too. I knew the shifting was gonna be a lot firmer, just wasn't expecting the torque converter to act that way. I love the hard shifts when I get on it! I was just afraid I had messed up the converter. Thanks again!

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

eswarden

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably so. It doesn't appear that the transmission has ever been pulled. I'd like to rebuild it, but that's hard to do when it's your daily driver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo