Has anyone used a 24284077 Torque Converter (6L90?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have decided that I'm going to use the Circle D transmissions stage 2.5 6L80 rebuild kit in my 2008. I am also going to replace my complete valve body, pump, torque converter, and 1-2-3-4/3-5-R drum. I have been planning on using the CTS-V torque converter since I have a mild VVT cam but since I do not race this thing and my gas mileage is already abysmal, I'm wondering if I shouldn't. Circle D said they only recommend people use the CTS-V converter (24045127) or a 24284077 converter, which appears to be a 6L90 converter for 2020+ 2500 trucks and vans. They said it is also a dual disc clutch like the CTS-V converter but with an 1800 RPM stall, so not much more than the 1600 RPM stock stall but a little less than the 2000-2200 RPM stall of the CTS-V converter. I'm just curious if anyone here has used one and if you're happy with it?

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have it in mine. It doesn’t feel anything other than factory tbh. It’s a nice converter.

I’m not sure it’s 2200. More like 1800

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spec'd my converter to be an 1800 stall when I did my circle D stage 3 trans
rebuild. I bought mine from PATC. They used a GM core and they use a converter
lock up clutch that 40% beefier than stock. I did this in prep for my supercharger..
Had the SC on for a couple of years...
Then I took off SC and did cam and stock head porting/work...
I would really now like to have a 2000 stall converter with the cam- although
I know my self done tune is still off some...
The ctsv converters were not avail when I did my stuff. But I'm happy
with my PATC converter so far

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have it in mine. It doesn’t feel anything other than factory tbh. It’s a nice converter.

I’m not sure it’s 2200. More like 1800

You have the CTS-V converter, you mean?

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the CTS-V converter, you mean?
Yes, the LSA converter

It's a little higher stall than factory and drives smooth. It's a great option for going boost on these trucks.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not boosted right now. I’d really love to but it looks like Magnuson has discontinued the 6.2L 07-08 kit and due to previous bad experiences piecing stuff together, I’m not sure I want to go the LSA route, and I’m not sure if I’d want to get the 09-14 Magnuson and just figure out what’s different (likely PCV connectors and maybe some wiring connectors is my guess). I currently have a small VVT cam from Comp that I really like and probably increased the power by 50ish to the wheels. It pushes a tad at idle in gear with the stock converter but not too bad, I’ve been driving it with this cam as is for maybe 2 years now.

I just figured a slightly higher stall would pair well with the cam and hopefully not do much to my fuel economy. It should be the same for highway since once in lockup it’ll be the same.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whipple has a kit too

Contact cspracing.com and see if they can give you a discount on it

A good stall shouldn't affect fuel economy except around town since you'll be unlocked a lot. I don't think i'd really like a stall in a truck though tbh. Driving around my stalled C7 gets old after a while. That low end torque from the blowers is amazing.

OP
OP

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely don’t want a high stall. I did a 3200 stall in my old Trailblazer SS because everyone on the forum said you had to do a 3200-3600 stall or it won’t get out of its own way and I absolutely hated it. I ended up putting everything I had done back to stock and then ended up selling it, too.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more power in front of a converter, the higher it will stall.

I fell for the high stall converter too. Put in a 9" 3000 stall converter when they were all the rage. Felt great off the line but the timeslips proved otherwise, LOST three tenths and three miles an hour in the quarter mile. Sent out my factory converter for overhaul and had them tweak it to stall 200 rpms over stock and that was a great converter that took the car into the 11s and still kept the tires planted on the street.

Christoph

Reaction score
So would the GM 6l90 24284077 Torque Converter have too much stall for a stock 5.3? It's a grocery getter and I'm not planning to mod. It's strictly a preventive measure replacement before the stock TC explodes. I was told to go with thicker clutches but this converter sounds stronger with it having dual discs. Not to mention I can get a NEW GM unit from Summit with for shipping for $310.

Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz