Torque converter - replace or let it be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a max 25k on transmission fluid kind of guy, so that’s helpful validation.

Yellowstone, Jackson, and all points between here and there. Plus several other trips to the outer banks, new river, upstate New York, etc. can’t wait!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup, I do fluid and filter every 30k and I have never had a GM AT fail on me.

Your best bet is to call Circle D and discuss it with them. I called to order mine and have no regrets.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I can see on the parts breakdown for my 18 which has the max tow package is that there are 2 different part numbers for the torque converter. Which ones are prone to failure in the 6L80 or does it not matter? Max tow package or not. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I can see on the parts breakdown for my 18 which has the max tow package is that there are 2 different part numbers for the torque converter. Which ones are prone to failure in the 6L80 or does it not matter? Max tow package or not. Thanks

My reading on the issue is that the half of the converter that bolts to the flexplate is too thin, causing the clutch material to move and disintegrate. Sonnax sells the parts to correct this which Circle D may very well be using but I have no idea.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My reading on the issue is that the half of the converter that bolts to the flexplate is too thin, causing the clutch material to move and disintegrate. Sonnax sells the parts to correct this which Circle D may very well be using but I have no idea.
That's my understanding also. Further, that when the truck is used for towing, the added stress accelerates the wear. Didn't know that Sonnax has a kit to beef it up though. Good tip.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know for your generation of truck, but for the '12 that I have, all are affected. Mine has the factory towing package.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the shop I'm working with suggested a TC overhauled by CVC. They're a remanufacturer who's apparently known for their upgrades to the stock units to make them more durable, including a heavy duty billet front, dual-plate clutch lock-up mechanism with upgraded friction materials, and a flanged hub. He likes them because he's had good experiences with their units over many years, and believes it's a quality upgrade that will support the towing I have planned. The unit will run about $500, shipped, which is also good. I think I'm going to trust his advice and bite the billet :) I'll keep y'all posted on how it turns out.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropped off the truck at the transmission shop this morning. Got a shot of the new TC sitting on his desk. It's a heavy sumbitch. He had a stock one nearby that he had me pick up too, and it felt like it was half the weight. That billet cover on the other side is SOLID. He's gonna put in a Fel-Pro rear main seal and cover gasket while he's in there.

upload_2021-3-17_13-35-17.png

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropped off the truck at the transmission shop this morning. Got a shot of the new TC sitting on his desk. It's a heavy sumbitch. He had a stock one nearby that he had me pick up too, and it felt like it was half the weight. That billet cover on the other side is SOLID. He's gonna put in a Fel-Pro rear main seal and cover gasket while he's in there.

View attachment 273608

Sweet man. Seems like a solid deal for you!

Are you going with the factory stall rating or did you bump it up?

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet man. Seems like a solid deal for you!

Are you going with the factory stall rating or did you bump it up?
Went with factory stall, but with that Stage 2 cam in there maybe I should've gone higher?

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went with factory stall, but with that Stage 2 cam in there maybe I should've gone higher?

With a stage 2 you should be alright.

I will tell you, with the Stage 3 you definitely a 3-3200 stage. I did my cam first, drove it.....and was like ****, need a stall now LOL. Had nasty cam surge at stop signs and lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA