Top 5 performance mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
Intake, Long Tube headers, a Tune, lower Gears, Cam swap, Blower, if You have a 5.3L getting some 4.8L heads and porting and polishing them, Yank Tourqe converter with a better stall I am running a 2800 stall, B&M Billet Servos in Trans, wow over 5 but there ya go.

jpaeltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered my black bow tie. It'll look great on my 04 black 'hoe.

01TX_Tahoe

Semper Fi
Reaction score
+1 I have four kids so my pockets are not deep either. I added a flowmaster and I cant tell any performance gains but my truck sounds mean.

Yeah I have 3 kids myself.. one's a teenager too!! I think I'm gonna get the Magnaflow exhaust.. unfortunately the vette servo and spark plugs I ordered didn't come in like I expected to this weekend so I bummed about that..:emotions122:

brucebruce45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. gears
2. converter
3. longtubes
4. shift kit
5. tune to dial it all in

solored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id say for self..if your looking for noise and a bit of performance and a bit better increase of mpg.

-NGK platnium iridum plugs
-MSD 8.5mm wires (dont do that much but look alot better then stock)
-Nice cat back or full exhuast system minus headers
-Programmer, for reasons that a custom tune your limited to what octane gas you run, with prgramer you can least change the octane your running and switch back, and same with different size rubber for a more accurate speedo (custom is better, if you can afford 91+ octane all the time)
-Cold air intake eg k&n

In my 99 tahoe with the vortec 5.7, i did all that notice a difference, looked good when the hood was popped, and sounded good as well.

highrollin113

Undercover
Reaction score
Intake, Long Tube headers, a Tune, lower Gears, Cam swap, Blower, if You have a 5.3L getting some 4.8L heads and porting and polishing them, Yank Tourqe converter with a better stall I am running a 2800 stall, B&M Billet Servos in Trans, wow over 5 but there ya go.

question - can you explain the beneifts of 4.8l heads mod please?

i notice no one has mentioned electric fans this is the next thing i am doing as i wait on the bb tune list

so far i have cat back
msd coils + 8.5mm wires
bosch+4 plugs
home made forced air, with k&n filter

coming soon
efans
bb tune
vette servo

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
the 4.8L heads have smaller chambers and Flow Better! I have 4.8L Heads ported and polished. Helps to make a world of Difference.

Here the Guy that did Mine. His Name is Craig Gallant He Owns (GTP) Gallant Technical Performance His # is : 832-496-3400

He is Pretty fair in Prices and I am SO Happy With My Hoe other then the Trans Probs I am Having.

Last edited:

homedic3181

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Blackbear Tune
2. Electric Fan Setup
3. Upgraded Pads/Rotors
3. Intake
4. LT Headers
5. Cat Back, love that roar.

TogaPC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The basic principle to producing more power is to move as much air in and out of the engine as you possibly can.

1. Corsa Touring Cat Back - Good sound, great flow, and no drone.
2. Cold Air Intake - AEM Brute Force is great but the Spectre is identical and half the $.
3. Long Tube Headers - To further enhance exhaust flow.
4. Aggressive Cam - Takes advantage of the extra flow capacity of the exhaust and intake.
5. Black Bear Tune - To get the most out of your mods

I don't know much about the 4.8L heads. I know the stock heads on these Vortec engines flow really well. The after market plugs, wires, O2 sensors, thermostats, throttle body spacers, and de-screened MAF senseors are just gimmicks that are only going to give you marginal, if any, gain in power. Stick with OEM replacements for any regular maintenance items and spend your money where it really counts.

The computer is what ties everything together so whether you go with a programmer or get a custom tune, you should adjust your PCM to take advantage of your other mods. Forced induction is good but can get very expensive and will shorten the life of your engine.

Once your engine is producing more power you should definitely beef up your tranny. I wouldn't get a rebuilt tranny unless your's is having problems. The stock 4L60E with some mods will handle anything up to around 450 HP with no real problems unless you are constantly pounding on it.

Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amada