2009 hybrid tahoe w/ 140k miles....... or 2014 tahoe lt w/ 170k miles... which would you take?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All opinions much appreciated and thank you for reading this! I am in need of a truck until I can fix my other tahoe, which is proving to be difficult.

My dilemma is this: Both the 2014 tahoe LT and the 2009 hybrid tahoe LT run/look good. No rust, frame looks good on both, no engine knocks, suspension all checks out.

Dealership wants $9000 for the 2009 hybrid tahoe with only 140k miles. They want $11,000 for the 2014 with only 170k miles.

Cosmetically and undercarriage-ly, the 2009 wins by far (neither have rust), Mechanically, they're both sound. Neither have CEL, though I did not have my scanner so I didn't scan stored codes.

The only thing that scares me is the "hybrid" part, else I'd be sold on the 2009. Is this something I should be worried about? I am mechanically inclined, but know absolutely nothing when it comes to hybrids, except that the battery prices will put you into a deep depression or coma. If the hybrid battery goes bad, will the truck still run? I will be getting one or the other tomorrow, so yalls opinion is what will sway me! Thanks guys.
The hybrid battery is likely overdue to be replaced. 5 to 7 years is typical. Find out what a new battery costs. I don't like hybrids in general, but use ones are even worse.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a fellow member on here recently had to rebuild his transmission on his hybrid Tahoe. If my memory serves, it's hard to get parts for that transmission and the 2 motors inside it are expensive plus are hard to find. I like the hybrids, but I wouldn't buy one just because of the transmission / availability of parts issue.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope he stays away from the hybrids. No parts, no parts support and dealerships for the most part are reluctant to touch them. One guy on here did replace all the cells in his battery with improved ones. @RebelBelle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MBay Mobey

Latest posts