Tire size recommendations please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking @ some 20x8.5 +14mm wheels atm second hand and I am taking a look @ tire sizes. That wheel should be 5.3" backspacing according to an online calculator, plus the wheel is an inch wider so I feel pretty good about that. Should increase the track width by 1.6" I think?

I am lowered slightly 34/35" f/r with ~31" tires (worn 265/70r17's). It looks to me like I still have plenty of room to go up in tire size. I like some sidewall to soften the ride and a taller tire should bring my cruise rpms down slightly which would be nice.

Tl;dr I am thinking 275/55r20's atm... your thoughts?

Last edited:

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am lowered 2/3 and have 275/55R20's. It doesn't rub currently but its sooooo close to rubbing the front of the wheel well when I'm at lock or close to it. Anything AT or bigger and I'm afraid you'd have to trim some plastic.

EDIT: I'm not sure what my offset is tho...

OP
OP
TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am lowered 2/3 and have 275/55R20's. It doesn't rub currently but its sooooo close to rubbing the front of the wheel well when I'm at lock or close to it. Anything AT or bigger and I'm afraid you'd have to trim some plastic.

EDIT: I'm not sure what my offset is tho...

Thanks, what tires? I am looking @ Goodyear eagle ls2's which are a street tire so I'd imagine I'd have more than plenty of clearance

Hah yeah basically the same size as what I have already

265x70xR17-275x55xR20.png

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
Thanks, what tires? I am looking @ Goodyear eagle ls2's which are a street tire so I'd imagine I'd have more than plenty of clearance

Hah yeah basically the same size as what I have already

265x70xR17-275x55xR20.png

Ls-2 tires suck. They suck on the snow. Suck on wet pavement. You get like 3/32nds of useable tread then they turn into racing slicks.

OP
OP
TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ls-2 tires suck. They suck on the snow. Suck on wet pavement. You get like 3/32nds of useable tread then they turn into racing slicks.

I have no real concern with the snow in CA, and only the occasional rain, but no usable tread sounds annoying.

OP
OP
TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This type of feedback is priceless btw! All the "reviews" i can find are good to excellent.

Any recommendations in this size for cheap? Must be discount tire/americas tire.

The Jeep guys are not fans of the wrangler SRA's, but they are concerned with off road performance and on this vehicle I am not. Those are similar in price. Or the Cooper discoverer HTP.

There is also the nantang sp7 or sentury uhpt, though I wasn't really considering those initially. I dont casre about the name if the mileage warranty and reviews are good though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harpo123