315/70R17 (35's) with no lift - fitment observations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgraves

Reaction score
I was only able fit bits and pieces of information about fitting 35" tires on a 2021+ Tahoe / Yukon before purchasing my wheel and tire package, so hopefully this helps someone else make a more informed decision.

I have a 2023 Yukon AT4 with air ride and power steps. While this should be applicable to all 2021+ Tahoes and Yukons (and possibly Escalades), there my be variations in fit between models or even within a model do to manufacturing variation, alignments, etc. Everything about this fitment is very tight.

I was able to fit 315/70R17 Hakkapeliitta LT3 (non-studded) on KMC Technic 17x8.5 +18ET with no lift. As a straight bolt-on the back of the tire would rub the fender liner just past 360* of steering wheel angle, regardless of ride height setting. I drove the truck like this for a week being careful in parking lots. It only rubbed a couple times and left a minor mark on the fender liner. There is roughly 3/8" clearance between the tire sidewall and upper ball joint, which is the closest it gets to any suspension component. The wheel to caliper clearance is also very close but the sick-on wheel weights pass cleanly.

Today I tackled the fender liners. The "mudflap bracket" must be removed and the fender liner has to be tied back just inboard of the bracket. The Westcott Designs video is much more informative than any photos I could post. I did not have to trim the inner part of the "ear" at the rear of the wheel well. In place of the Westcott bracket, I drilled the frame extension (wraps around the body mount) in the small dimple with a 11/64" drill bit and a self tapping #10 screw with fender washer. I did not have to tie the liner back to the front cross member. There was no need to touch the lower bumper or liner at that location, but the tire is extremely close here and it is possible I may have to address this in the future. There is no interferance with the factory power steps.

After today's relatively minor fender modification, I can turn full lock at any ride height, forward or reverse, with no percievable rubbing. This may change while crossing diagonal ditches or braking while turning.

There is almost no difference in tire clearance between minimum and maximum ride heights. This means there is no tire clearance benefit to a moderate lift. I would go so far as to say a 3-3.5" lift does nothing for tire clearance. I purchasd Edgy Mods lift links before recieving my wheels and tires. I have not yet installed them but if I do, it will only be for appearance and ground clearance. IMO, the Yukon with 35's looks better at high or max ride height. The lift link installation (and reverting to stock links) appears to be very straight forward, with the getting the correct length being the most difficult part.

I inquired about Westcott Designs fender liner kit. They were not confident in being able to fit 315/70R17 without a lift. While I'm certain their kit would work with my wheel and tire combination, I understand their hesitation to recommend the combination. A more agressive offset or tire (either a large 315/70R17, more square shoulder or larger side lugs) could change the outcome.

I'll go back to the factory AT4 wheels and tires in the spring and run them until the tires are done. At this point I don't know what I'll for replacements, but I'll be measuring closely and likely modifying the front of the fender liner if I go with an agressive all-terrain in a 35x12.5 or roughly equivalent size. The sweet spot for these trucks likely measures about 34x12.

Attachments

• IMG_4528.jpeg
    IMG_4528.jpeg
    398.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4529.jpeg
    IMG_4529.jpeg
    421.1 KB · Views: 73

SavageDad

Reaction score
Awesome post thank you. It's nice to see a truck with some decent sidewalls around here for once!

saucecsf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was only able fit bits and pieces of information about fitting 35" tires on a 2021+ Tahoe / Yukon before purchasing my wheel and tire package, so hopefully this helps someone else make a more informed decision.

I have a 2023 Yukon AT4 with air ride and power steps. While this should be applicable to all 2021+ Tahoes and Yukons (and possibly Escalades), there my be variations in fit between models or even within a model do to manufacturing variation, alignments, etc. Everything about this fitment is very tight.

I was able to fit 315/70R17 Hakkapeliitta LT3 (non-studded) on KMC Technic 17x8.5 +18ET with no lift. As a straight bolt-on the back of the tire would rub the fender liner just past 360* of steering wheel angle, regardless of ride height setting. I drove the truck like this for a week being careful in parking lots. It only rubbed a couple times and left a minor mark on the fender liner. There is roughly 3/8" clearance between the tire sidewall and upper ball joint, which is the closest it gets to any suspension component. The wheel to caliper clearance is also very close but the sick-on wheel weights pass cleanly.

Today I tackled the fender liners. The "mudflap bracket" must be removed and the fender liner has to be tied back just inboard of the bracket. The Westcott Designs video is much more informative than any photos I could post. I did not have to trim the inner part of the "ear" at the rear of the wheel well. In place of the Westcott bracket, I drilled the frame extension (wraps around the body mount) in the small dimple with a 11/64" drill bit and a self tapping #10 screw with fender washer. I did not have to tie the liner back to the front cross member. There was no need to touch the lower bumper or liner at that location, but the tire is extremely close here and it is possible I may have to address this in the future. There is no interferance with the factory power steps.

After today's relatively minor fender modification, I can turn full lock at any ride height, forward or reverse, with no percievable rubbing. This may change while crossing diagonal ditches or braking while turning.

There is almost no difference in tire clearance between minimum and maximum ride heights. This means there is no tire clearance benefit to a moderate lift. I would go so far as to say a 3-3.5" lift does nothing for tire clearance. I purchasd Edgy Mods lift links before recieving my wheels and tires. I have not yet installed them but if I do, it will only be for appearance and ground clearance. IMO, the Yukon with 35's looks better at high or max ride height. The lift link installation (and reverting to stock links) appears to be very straight forward, with the getting the correct length being the most difficult part.

I inquired about Westcott Designs fender liner kit. They were not confident in being able to fit 315/70R17 without a lift. While I'm certain their kit would work with my wheel and tire combination, I understand their hesitation to recommend the combination. A more agressive offset or tire (either a large 315/70R17, more square shoulder or larger side lugs) could change the outcome.

I'll go back to the factory AT4 wheels and tires in the spring and run them until the tires are done. At this point I don't know what I'll for replacements, but I'll be measuring closely and likely modifying the front of the fender liner if I go with an agressive all-terrain in a 35x12.5 or roughly equivalent size. The sweet spot for these trucks likely measures about 34x12.
Thanks for your post, theres little to nothing about folks putting oversized tires for us people who have the air ride system with no lift. I believe the lift link lift links for air ride is just to trick the adaptive air suspension where you're basically riding on the air bags 24/7 and long term, this has to have some draining effects where the bags can't sustain the height permanently. Your tires appear to be 34.4" in overall diameter. I posted info on another thread about trying to fit 275/65R20 toyo MT tires on the stock suburban Z71 rim where the over all diameter is at 34.5" and 11" wide. The distance at full turn from the tires hitting the cross member metal is at about 0.18"...extremely close...if your tires are 34.4 but with a width of 12"...thats also super close because of the width but do you think you could have fit the toyo MT's at 34.5 x 11...slightly taller tire than yours but 1" less wide.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the lift link lift links for air ride is just to trick the adaptive air suspension where you're basically riding on the air bags 24/7 and long term, this has to have some draining effects where the bags can't sustain the height permanently.

You are riding on the air bags 24/7 in stock form…thats all you have for suspension lol…no springs at all. But yes, all it does is air the bags up more than the factory setting, so yea if you go too high with it your ride quality will suffer. Also could be possible added wear on the bags, not sure on that.

saucecsf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You are riding on the air bags 24/7 in stock form…thats all you have for suspension lol…no springs at all. But yes, all it does is air the bags up more than the factory setting, so yea if you go too high with it your ride quality will suffer. Also could be possible added wear on the bags, not sure on that.
Yea I think theres a reason why factory settings only allow max height at low speeds...its like a fully inflated balloon vs. Partial theres less give for flexing. So far nobody's done true 34.5's without a lift! Prolly not doable lol.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I think theres a reason why factory settings only allow max height at low speeds...its like a fully inflated balloon vs. Partial theres less give for flexing. So far nobody's done true 34.5's without a lift! Prolly not doable lol.
Not without some clearancing/trimming.

saucecsf

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not without some clearancing/trimming.
Theres all these posts on instagram of people fitting 35 x 12.5's with 22"or 24" rims with only a 2.5" lift or 3" lift. I don't know what to believe or how real it is. All I know is that zero people have attempted or succeeded 34.5's on stock 20's with no lift. Maybe I'll try it with no lift and just trim the crap out of the fender plastic.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres all these posts on instagram of people fitting 35 x 12.5's with 22"or 24" rims with only a 2.5" lift or 3" lift I don't know what to believe or how real it is. All I know is that zero people have attempted or succeeded 34.5's on stock 20's with no lift. Maybe I'll try it with no lift and just trim the crap out of the fender plastic.
Thats because you can fit 35s with 2-3” of lift (with trimming depending on wheel size/offset). 35’s are only a few inches bigger than the stock tires (which is obviously only 1” closer to the fender). But really, in my opinion, a small level/lift really does absolutely nothing for tire clearance…they are still gonna rub in the exact same place due to the wheel well design unless you really jack them up.

Also…it doesnt matter if the wheels are 22’s 24’s or 18’s…its still a 35” tire haaaaaaa

OP
OP
J

jgraves

Reaction score
I think a smaller 35x12.5 (true 34.5 or 34.6" tall), with a rounded shoulder profile, would fit at stock height on a 9" wide, +18ET wheel, without cutting metal. I have some clearance behind the tire (to frame surrounding the body mount). I have no clearance in front of the tire but that's all plastic and wouldn't be too difficult to trim / hide. Offset is critical for this fitment. These may require cutting metal on a 0ET wheel. My first choice of wheel was a Method, but the closest offset available in adesign I liked was 0ET. I "settled" for the KMC and fortunately like the result.

Regarding the Toyo MT 34.5x11, I think they could fit. I would keep the offset below +12ET and be prepared to adjust the fender liner in front and behind the wheel, as well as remove the "mudflap bracket". The shoulder is quite square but the narrower width works in your favor.

IIRC, the truck will hold the higher ride height until 80km/h (50mph) and lowers at that speed for aerodynamics and stability. I didn't find the ride objectionable at the high setting with stock 20" wheels and tires. I could certainly see someone on a larger wheel, stiffer tire (E rated) and overall more unsprung mass having a differnt experience. My first concern with using links to gain ride height would be upper ball joints (life and failure) before the air suspension life.

Tires than actually measure 35x12.5 on 0 or negitive offset wheels would require cutting metal or limiting the steering angle, even on a 2-3" lift. There is very little tire clearance gained by lifting a small amount.

OP
OP
J

jgraves

Reaction score
Just a quick update regarding this fitment. I've enable the easy entry / exit mode while visiting my mother for Christmas. I'm rubbing the front of the wheel liner when backing out of parking spaces and turning sharply. It's easy to trim / pull the liner forward in this location and hasn't been a problem at normal ride height.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019