Tire Chains on 2018 Yukon Denali with 22" wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Hansen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have upgraded to a 2018 Yukon Denali with 22" wheels (the tire size is P285/45R22). One of the main reasons we want a 4WD SUV is for traveling from the Sacramento CA area to the Salt Lake City area around the end of December to visit relatives.

This trip requires that we carry (and if weather dictates, use) tire chains while crossing the Sierra.

In looking for suitable chains for our new Yukon, I looked in the owner's manual and it specifically states that with our tires, we are not to use tire chains:

If the vehicle has 265/65R18, P265/65R18, P275/55R20, or P285/45R22 size tires, do not use tire chains. There is not enough clearance. Tire chains used on a vehicle without the proper amount of clearance can cause damage to the brakes, suspension, or other vehicle parts. The area damaged by the tire chains could cause loss of control and a crash.

It then goes on to say:

Use another type of traction device only if its manufacturer recommends it for the vehicle's tire size combination and road conditions. Follow that manufacturer's instructions.

But while researching tire chains, I find some that claim to fit our tire/wheel size, but they say we must follow the information in the vehicles owners manual.

So, is there a traction device we can use which will be acceptable to the State of California so we can cross the Sierra while being acceptable to GMC?

I sure would appreciate any help/advice.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You'll want to check with the state that requires them, but typically on radial tires you'll want to use cables instead of chains. The traction isn't quite as good as chains, but they are less likely to damage your tires and don't require as much wheel well clearance as chains.

OP
OP
Mark Hansen

Mark Hansen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So do you think the owner's manual was really just saying "don't use chains" while cables are okay? The traction devices I've been looking at (which claim to fit my tire/wheel) appear to be cables.

OP
OP
Mark Hansen

Mark Hansen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For example, when I look at Chain Requirements for the State of California, it refers to "Chains Required" but doesn't say anything about cables. I've heard them referred to as Cable Chains - is it possible when the California says "Chains" they mean chains or cables?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, I do. GM's concern is clearance so as not to cause "...damage to the brakes, suspension, or other vehicle parts...", so you may want to see if you have enough clearance for cables, especially while turning. Try to find a place that will install one to check, or make sure they're returnable if you didn't use them on the road.

EDIT: I believe the CA requirement is like this: "Requirement Three (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions." (emphasis added) Double-check to be certain.

OP
OP
Mark Hansen

Mark Hansen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How can I tell if there is adequate clearance without taking the chains on the road? Won't the action of compressing the suspension change the clearance, especially while turning?

Is there someone that knows whether or not I can safely use a particular make/model of cables on my vehicle/wheel/tire?

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am about positive there is no way that a set of chains would fit on a stock denali with 22’s. There is literally like a 1/4-1/2” of clearance before rubbing in stock form.

Cables will have a much better chance of fitting, but will still be tight (if they do fit at all).

Good luck, and report back with your findings.

cheyenne383

Far North Lurker
Reaction score
Chains on the 22s would destroy the wheels and likely catch the fenders and other parts underneath due to the width... If you're dead set on using them go to 18s, I think even 20s would be an issue due to the smaller sidewalls.

You can also get Blizzaks in 285/45/22 which would address the snow if you're nervous. I just ride on BFG All Terrains (not available in 22" sizes) up here in Alaska and haven't had an issue. The traction control with AWD will surprise you how well it does.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chains on the 22s would destroy the wheels and likely catch the fenders and other parts underneath due to the width... If you're dead set on using them go to 18s, I think even 20s would be an issue due to the smaller sidewalls.

You can also get Blizzaks in 285/45/22 which would address the snow if you're nervous. I just ride on BFG All Terrains (not available in 22" sizes) up here in Alaska and haven't had an issue. The traction control with AWD will surprise you how well it does.

Yes. I am a firm believer in snow tires. Used them for too many winters with phenomenal results. But, I believe there are still areas that actually require chains/cables at certain times. They are not allowed where I am at so I have no experience with them.

OP
OP
Mark Hansen

Mark Hansen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I am definitely not "set on chains". However, the area through which I need to travel in the winder requires "something". They say "chains", but I think they actually mean "Tire Traction Devices", which I assume includes chains, cables, etc.

What I'm trying to determine is whether or not it's safe to use cables (or perhaps some other "tire traction device" on my 2018 Yukon Denali with P285/45R22 wheels/tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts