Ticking sound but only on an incline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure it aint your wheel hub(s) bearing(s)? Jack each front tire up of the ground and grab tire at 12 and 6 oclock and try rocking tire in and outward at ONLY those 2 points. Should not be much play at all. If there is then you have a bad hub assembly (wheel bearing).

doc 11 acr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So i just got a 02 Denali and have been fixing a few issues. My drive way has a steep incline. When i pull up my drive i hear this ticking noise. It sounds like it is coming from the bottom passenger side like where the ac condenser is. i have not heard it any other time. Any ideas? It has 185000 miles on it.
I would check your universal joints. That is a classic description of one that is dry and that may fail.

OP
OP
C

cheebs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would check your universal joints. That is a classic description of one that is dry and that may fail.
This might sound dumb but should the u joints be moving if the truck ain't moving?

OP
OP
C

cheebs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nope. Lets clarify. You dont get the ticking sound when the vehicle is in park and idling?
This sound is when the front end is higher than the rear only. it can be parked or driving. It does change speed with the engine. As I have talked with you guys I have noticed when it happens. I first noticed it when I was parked in my driveway.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sound is when the front end is higher than the rear only. it can be parked or driving. It does change speed with the engine. As I have talked with you guys I have noticed when it happens. I first noticed it when I was parked in my driveway.
Sounds alot like an oil starved bearing, lifter, valve but oil pressure seems good to go. I cant imagine a condition that would cause one to be starved when fornt is higher than the rear unless it were very extreme. Does it ALWAYS make the sound when the front end is higher than the rear regardless if at idle or moving? Can you get us some audio of the ticking?

OP
OP
C

cheebs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Come to find out it was the starter. i changed the starter and the sound is now gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE