Thinking of switching to smaller wheels....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Trailblazzin

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, I do agree that the 20” wheels would look better just can’t make up my mind. I might go test drive a tahoe with 18’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One also gives up a true off-road capability when switching to 20s and larger. The owner's manual states this. The sidewall of a tire is what absorbs the bumps in the road, along with the suspension of course. But the tire is the first point of contact and also the taller the sidewall, the more air, the more air, the higher the weight rating, generally speaking.

As for me and my house, I'm sticking with the 17s and AT LT tires until they wear out.

Your other consideration is whether or not you want a P-Metric tire or an LT tire. Better ride with the P-Metric but more durability with the LTs.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are doing off roading, smaller rims makes sense. In every situation, smaller rims makes sense except for looks which is subjective. Denali/Escalade is like the highest luxury of SUV in the GMC fam so I thought looks was the priority but comfort really seems to be and I respect you for wanting to obtain that by any means.

Brian1971

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does it help with the harshness of bumps? I’ve read up and people say it doesn’t but I find that hard to believe, I had a Trailblazer prior to this and had the stock 16” and also the SS 20” and it was night and day.

I guess the LTZ autoride air system soaks it up. I can't feel any difference.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2011 avy was LS with 17s. Current 2013 has autoride with 20s, and I found the autoride does even up the sidewall difference (I actually remember driving home from the dealership thinking the ltz should be more of a difference). I am positive 17s on autoride would make the ride even softer with the extra 1.5" of rubber cushion. If I off roaded more, I would consider it - ride is great right now though. 20 is good balance, and the michelins ride great...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bl74

Latest posts