Thinking of switching to smaller wheels....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why?

Is it a ride issue? Cause that won't solve it...

Is it a looks issue? Cause those will look worse than your 20's...

Brian1971

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 20's on my LTZ. Bought a set of used 17 and installed a set of winter snow tires, they ride just as good as the 20's. I was really surprised. I figured it would degrade the handling, no problems and I got better winter traction. Win/Win!

BTW, I swap them out every season.

OP
OP
Trailblazzin

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why?

Is it a ride issue? Cause that won't solve it...

Is it a looks issue? Cause those will look worse than your 20's...

Yea kind of a ride issue, doesn’t take the pot holes and overall terrible pa roads to well. It handles like a dream, can corner really well for a vehicle of this size. Cruising on the highway is also good, but lots of harshness I was trying to convince myself that this would solve. I also have brand new struts and shocks, it has the auto ride z55 rpo and replaced with all new oem components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Trailblazzin

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 20's on my LTZ. Bought a set of used 17 and installed a set of winter snow tires, they ride just as good as the 20's. I was really surprised. I figured it would degrade the handling, no problems and I got better winter traction. Win/Win!

BTW, I swap them out every season.

Does it help with the harshness of bumps? I’ve read up and people say it doesn’t but I find that hard to believe, I had a Trailblazer prior to this and had the stock 16” and also the SS 20” and it was night and day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cekkk

Reaction score
No question, my 22" rims and skinny tires look great. And if I never had to drive it, I'd love them. But I do take them out of the garage on occasion. Special order Michelins, special in that nobody had them in stock, ride very rough. And God forbid I should hit a pothole. About a waste of $3k.

I think you won't regret the trade-off of looks for money saved and better ride. But only you can decide.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 17's on Dunlops that I just removed for 20's on stock good years. The 17's were much more forgiving when it comes to pot holes and such but the 20's feel much more secuire, not sure how to describe. I would rather invest in better tires for better ride than drop down to 17's. I think there is a difference in ride but you can minimize the difference with better tires. You will not be happy with the look of smaller rims. Even the 20's look small without a drop.

ColombiaPunk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got rid of the 20s on my Denali for 17s with duratracs. Looks much much better and does ride better. Soaks up pot holes like they're not there.

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Just got rid of the 20s on my Denali for 17s with duratracs. Looks much much better and does ride better. Soaks up pot holes like they're not there.

Funny I found this I was thinking about going to 18's with duratracs on my 2012 Denali XL. My reasons were that more sidewall means better handling on country and back roads. Also at my boat ramp at low tide, the ramp is pretty chewed up at the bottom and having more sidewall would be a good thing. Given that I do want to put the biggest tires I can on the 18's what size duratracs did you put in those 17's and did you get Stock rims or aftermarket. Do you have a picture you could post?

Thanks in adavnce!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbr1287