Tahoe front wheel well SPATS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

EdTom

Reaction score
I believe they are called “chaps” and their purpose is aerodynamics
Thanks for sharing that. I’d love to see the engineering stats on the aerodynamic benefits of those. Hard to believe they’re even worth the effort.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's showing what it looks like without the FWD "mudflap."

As @Stbentoak mentioned - they have a purpose. Either aerodynamics, engine cooling or both. There's a handful of features on the vehicle done in an effort to eek out every little bit of aerodynamics possible on a 3 ton rig... You can see in the same picture the opening in the grill at the outboard edge that channels air into the wheel well. Also at the back of the rear wheel well is stamped feature that tunes the air flow. They wouldn't add these features if they didn't have a true benefit.
I’m guessing y’all are talking about something like this…

IMG_4459.jpeg

The minute aero advantage, is wildly offset by tire choice. Meh. Some tape as a guide, and 5 minutes with a cutoff wheel will fix that.

IMG_7036.jpeg

IMG_7041.jpeg

IMG_7045.jpeg

OP
OP
E

EdTom

Reaction score
Don’t think we’re talking about the same thing. We are discussing the rubber flap or chap extending 8” (in front of the front tires) out of the wheel well. They’re being installed from the factory on late model Tahoes and I guess Suburbans

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A picture = 1,000 words. Are these to what you're referring?

28066136_web1_TSR-2022-Chevrolet-Tahoe_front.jpg

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t think we’re talking about the same thing. We are discussing the rubber flap or chap extending 8” (in front of the front tires) out of the wheel well. They’re being installed from the factory on late model Tahoes and I guess Suburbans
That’s why I asked in the first place…

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that. I’d love to see the engineering stats on the aerodynamic benefits of those. Hard to believe they’re even worth the effort.
Several articles about them online, and several styles. But I used the wrong term….spats is correct so study up on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greygranny