Synthetic or regular oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07 Tahoe

Reaction score
I have always used Synthetic and oil looks clean when changed every time. I usually run it till my oil life % is around 10%, roughly 7-8500 miles for me.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always used Synthetic and oil looks clean when changed every time. I usually run it till my oil life % is around 10%, roughly 7-8500 miles for me.

damn! Wish mine would go that long. My oil indicator goes to 20% in like a month with less than 1k miles!

But I also beat on my denali pretty hard. It see's 6k+ many many times a day.

08OLP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
had a 94 grand am 340k drove it on the scrap truck. got 01 impala 280k
use pennzoil 10w30 fram oil filter every 5k to 7k
08 tahoe with 110k 5w30

thought about Synthetic but i think that thicker oil would give me more oil psi
what do u guys think?

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had a 94 grand am 340k drove it on the scrap truck. got 01 impala 280k
use pennzoil 10w30 fram oil filter every 5k to 7k
08 tahoe with 110k 5w30

thought about Synthetic but i think that thicker oil would give me more oil psi
what do u guys think?

Definitely time to go full Synthetic. I used Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my 08 tahoe and it lasted foreverrrrr. I'd run it to about 10-15% too before I would change it. Cost twice as much but lasts twice as long!

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a ton of bad information in here regarding oil. You guys should head over to Bob Is The Oil Guy (BITOG) forums and read up.

www.BobIsTheOilGuy.com

One of the biggest myths in this thread is oil is bad if it is dark in color, or good if it is still clear. If the oil is dark in color is can still be excellent, doing its job keeping the internals clean, with a medium to high TNB content. The only way to see how an oil is doing is having an oil analysis done by a lab.

---------- Post added at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

Wow... 6 pages of heated oil debate.. awesome.. i'm due for an oil change and i've decided to switch to synthetic and get a K&N oil filter. The question is.... Royal Purple or Mobil 1 Full synthetic? I'm sure it's all opinions but I want to know which of you synthetic oil people use, and why you chose that one. Thanks guys and great debate.. to each his own!

Royal Purple doesn't have their oil certified by different agencies and car manufactures like Mobil1 (M1) does and other big oil brand oil manufactures like Pennzoil, etc. This speaks volumes in the oil community world (go check out Bob Is The Oil Guy).

In the United States, synthetic oils are classified as synthetic if they use III base stocks or higher. In Europe, for a synthetic oil to be considered synthetic it has to be a IV base stock.

With that said, I run M1 0w-40 in my 2001 Tahoe. It's the only M1 oil that uses IV base stocks in it's oil (true synthetic). All the other Mobil1 synthetic oils in the United States use III base stocks. M1's 0w-40 also carries the most oil certifications and is backed by more car manufactures than any other oil on the planet. It is also the most tested oil in the world when it comes to meeting these special certifications.

Take it for what it is, but certifications, testing, and manufacture support speaks way more volume to me than seeing a nice marketing campaign like Royal Purple uses.

I know M1 0w-40 is expensive and hard to find, that's why I buy it when it is on sale. I picked up 36 quarts when it was on sale at Kragen a few months back for $4.99 a quart. Over a $1 cheaper per quart than Wal-Mart at the time.

Keep in mind, M1 5w-30 is the factory fill for most, if not all GM vehicles coming off the line. With that being said, you can be assured all of GM's motor testing, hours of R&D, etc. was done with M1 5w-30. Since this is the case, a lot of people, including myself, see no point in running a different oil since the new GM vehicles are rolling off the line with this exact oil.

And a lot of people think oil filters are all built the same. That is not the case at all. The general consensus on BITOG is K&N, PureONE, Mobil1, Napa Gold, WIX, and Fram Extended Guard are the best. The worst oil filters would be any Fram that is not the Extended Guard model (Extended Guard is the only one with metal end caps inside the filter).

Last edited:

Tony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in the 1990's and the early 2000's, totoyas were always known for having the most trouble free engines, and they never came with synthetic oil.. I'm not sure what you can take away from that. From what I've always read over the years, sythentic oil just flows better in extremely cold tempatures and thats about it.. They say conventional oils are more than you need today.. I use sythentic in my denali, only because thats what the previous owner used to use. In my other cars i have always used regular oil and never have had a problem.

BLU AV8TR

Reaction score
what viscosity should I use for a '09 tahoe with 45K? Is it Mobil1 5W-30 Full synthetic??? I've been using 5W-30 regular....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn