Synthetic or regular oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biorob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Synthetic Filter

I use Mobile 1 extended performance on my 08 yukon XL. Pretty happy so far

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Synthetic. Seems to be the best way to go. I haven't used anything other than synthetic in any of my vehicles in the last 10+ years.

Same here.

I was sold on synthetic after tearing into the upper half of my old Camaro. After 120K miles (60K+ on synthetic) there wasn't one bit of sludge in the lifter valley or heads. I'd never seen a high mileage vehicle before where sludge wasn't present.

Since our engines run hot due to emissions requirements and the synthetic has a much higher breakdown point that's what I choose to run.

IMO, even the cheap Walmart Supertech synthetic (made by Kendall) is a better choice over conventional oils if cost is a concern.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using synthetic every since I got rid of my 1993 nissan maxima. I changed the oil on it, and you can see where some of the oil was thick and almost sludge like. I replaced that car with a 2001 Acura TL and since then I've been changing my own oil using synthetic every ~6k miles (figured it costs twice as much as regular oil, might as well go only twice as long). I replaced the TL with a 2008 G35 and the G35 with a 2010 Escalade which uses synthetic from the factory. All of them use synthetic from day 1 with zero issues. but the awkward way GM mounted the oil filter, and how the oil drain plug is sideways, i bring it to the dealership to change now. Charge me 100 bucks every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo