Synthetic or regular oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
has anyone tried the mobile 1 Truck and suv oil? i saw this on the shelf the other day and am thinging about trying it as im due for a oil change soon.

Metalshape

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this site I have ordered me a 2011 Denali and the first thing im doing is putting a pure power oil filter on and changing the oil to DELO SAE 15-40. I build hand made cars and bike for a living and I have a lot of toys and all run the DELO oil.. I was turned on to this oil after meeting the owner smart smart guy.. I also run the filter and fuel filter on all my vehicles.. Call him and ask for Kelly.. Super nice guy tell him Dennis from Todd's Cycle told you.. I have an account with him and could do a group purchase if there are any interest..

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... 6 pages of heated oil debate.. awesome.. i'm due for an oil change and i've decided to switch to synthetic and get a K&N oil filter. The question is.... Royal Purple or Mobil 1 Full synthetic? I'm sure it's all opinions but I want to know which of you synthetic oil people use, and why you chose that one. Thanks guys and great debate.. to each his own!

DTAILS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... 6 pages of heated oil debate.. awesome.. i'm due for an oil change and i've decided to switch to synthetic and get a K&N oil filter. The question is.... Royal Purple or Mobil 1 Full synthetic? I'm sure it's all opinions but I want to know which of you synthetic oil people use, and why you chose that one. Thanks guys and great debate.. to each his own!

Royal Purple .........

I currently use it in my 2008 BMW 335i (highly modified):
The car cold starts easier and on average will operate @ 15 - 20 degrees cooler during the summer months. This IS Texas so it makes a definite difference. I use the RP oil filter on this one.

Also, using it in my 1998 Toyota 4Runner (237,000 miles & counting):
Recently took this truck on a month long road trip from south Texas to Calgary, Canada. This oil change was fresh when we started out ....... the 4Runner NEVER missed a beat as there was never a need to add any oil. This trip was about 6400 miles from start to finish. Easier cold starts and noticeably smoother idle. Using RP oil filter.

Currently using it in the 2007 Tahoe (95,000 miles):
Easier cold starts, idle is unchanged & still very smooth, operating temps seem to be unchanged. Using K&N oil filter.
I am also using the Royal Purple ATF trans fluid with a factory replacement AC Delco trans filter. MUCH improved shifting where I hadn't expected there to be any difference.

Last edited:

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score

either way, you cant go wrong. What ever is on sale that day i guess, lol

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up going with Mobil 1 synthetic. + an air freshener and tax, it cost $70.50 -- guy told me I could change it up about every 9k-10k miles

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up going with Mobil 1 synthetic. + an air freshener and tax, it cost $70.50 -- guy told me I could change it up about every 9k-10k miles

I just had mine changed with the same mobil 1 sythetic and they wrote the next change is in 4,000 miles. I was thinking it was atleast double that mileage from what i have read, so good to know i don't need to be changing it out anytime soon.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea.. I don't actually plan on letting it get to 9-10k miles before changing, and will be keeping an eye on the oil % through the gauge/cluster read out. Once the % gets to the single digits (at 100% oil life right now) then i'm going to change it out. Will post results in how long this will actually last in my car.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
im using mobil 1 now and im at 14%. Ive gone over 5k, so im guessing that about 6k ill be due for a change

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DB1337

Latest posts