swing out tire carrier...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emadjc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone tried hanging a swing out tire carrier on the stock rear bumper? Maybe some reinforcements, or should I just plan on building a 2x6" bumper? my stock tire hoist isn't working. I would like to have easier access to the spare. Besides, i would lie to use that space for something else.
just thought I would toss this out there, thanks in advance for your input.

Emadjc

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything with the stock bumper, but a lot of people have made a new one.

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made one for my old Jeep and it looked/functioned great but I'm not sure it would look good on a Tahoe(especially those of us with barn doors)

Have you considered installing a roof rack and throwing it up there? :2cents:

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are swing out tire carriers ive seen even on the barn door version. You may lose a little since you wont be able to open the one side as far as you used to. Ive also seen a carrier that actually leans straight out from the truck and lays on the ground. But f*** that if your running a big tire and you need to pick the weight of the tire and part of the carrier back of the ground. I would just sacrifice a little on the barn door opening width.

MikeLade

Reaction score
I'll be building my own possibly this summer. Using on off the shelf Jeep carrier and spindle that we will modify the fit the width of the Escalade.

I'll be cutting rear rear quarters to add some departure angle and protection.

OverlandEscaladeRear(2).jpg

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
I've seen just one built like that, on a Yukon. Looked real mean. Unfortunately I can't find the picture now, I think it was on GMFS.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hitchgate/tiregate will be the least expensive solution (well except for throwing it on the roof.) The stock bumper isn't nearly strong enough to take a hinge of that size. Lots of guys running hitchgates with up to 35" tires. Even better, if you switch rigs you can take the hitchgate with you. Only drawback would be if you tow, might make it more difficult to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenTV GUy