Is it possible to keep truck too long?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for a nice GMT400.

I had a '91 sierra, really hated it. Might have been the 305, 4l80, or leaf springs..
Also, it's not pre-smog.. But I like the look!

Whatever body I would get, I'd probably use the gmt900 drivetrain (6l80!).. It's been sorted out, rebuildable and tuneable.
just have a nice old body that's not paper thin and no broken plastic dash/handle/trim.

Maybe a 50's or 60's suburban... Don't mind a solid axle up front either.. restomod I guess they call em..

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had a '91 sierra, really hated it. Might have been the 305, 4l80, or leaf springs..
Also, it's not pre-smog.. But I like the look!

Whatever body I would get, I'd probably use the gmt900 drivetrain (6l80!).. It's been sorted out, rebuildable and tuneable.
just have a nice old body that's not paper thin and no broken plastic dash/handle/trim.

Maybe a 50's or 60's suburban... Don't mind a solid axle up front either.. restomod I guess they call em..
Have an Oregon Suburban that is right up your alley:

Trilla_one

Reaction score
2) I absolutely cannot stand the new technology in any of the new vehicles. I used to like having new technology, but it has just gone way over the top. I do not need a huge touchscreen that has entertainment functions on it. I like to be able to reach over and turn knobs and press buttons by feel. This is very important to me. Same thing with the HVAC controls. I can reach over and feel how much to turn the heat up or down, switch defog modes, etc etc. Simple HVAC and radio controls have long disappeared from most new vehicles, especially from the SUV's.
Agreed.

Also, anyone who is paying attention will notice that new cars are becoming more and more privacy invasive. They always sell it to us under the guise of "convenience", similar to when the rolled out in car GPS and OnStar etc.

Your car knows everywhere you go, how long you stay there, how fast you drove to get there, and who you brought with you. Now you need an app to operate basic things that were standard on older vehicles. The most outrageous is needing a subscription to use heated seats.

Last edited:

Pyramid_Head

Reaction score
Keeping it and maintaining it beats financing another vehicle now-a-days. The feds really aren't stopping with interest rates anytime soon, plus, inflation keeps getting worse. I would keep it. The only thing painful about the 6l80 is that you cannot swap just any 6l80. It also needs to be programmed to your ecm. That, and the afm head aches, but, if you take good care of it, it'll last a while, and the those two issues I mentioned will not arise anytime soon.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
lol, I would agree on the value has dropped, the vehicle however is not going to fall apart all of a sudden
fix it or sell it for what you can and move on
I think I have around 165k on mine, no real issue's that I didn't cause, I have no plans to get rid of it. I have maintained it well and I fuilly expect to get many more years out of it.
still paying off a 16 I bought for the wife then I might start looking for a 2020 and that will likely be the last generation GM I ever buy and might pass this one on to the oldest offspring....
motor mounts are common the fix is to use a hummer mount
oil leaks just need new seals
mirrors can be repaired fairly easy, usually the gear strips that's a easy fix.
heated seats the grid breaks, it can be replaced.
You are correct! But then I think of the rust forming around my rear wheel wells... I don't mind fixing mechanical things at all, and it usually saves a lot of money... but dang, Ohio RUST!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper