Suburban 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is slightly off-topic, but 2015+ you can buy a Suburban 3500HD as long as it's for a fleet. There aren't many out there, but occasionally you can find one on cargurus or similar.

It's no longer being made, was only for fleet buyers (an individual could not purchase one new), was made in extremely low numbers, and is extremely expensive. Sticker price started at $85k, and the few used ones that have trickled into the market have prices around $40k-$50k, unless they had a ton of miles on them.

My theory is that Secret Service needed to update/revamp their fleet, and asked GM to make the 3500. GM figured they could get some ancillary sales in the commercial fleet market, so they made it available. But the primary customer was the fedgov. No other reason explains a 4000+ payload rating and a 3,000-lb trailer tow rating.

Would be cool if it also had dually fenders and a duramax engine :naughty:

Duraburb just built a 3500 with the L5P diesel. Sorry for the FB link, couldn't find the video anywhere else...

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
99c9233b32dd33b4d6119068b61d7926.jpg

^^^ this but new rig

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is nice lookin' except for the hood cowl/scoop. I have never liked the looks of a hood like that.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, two random questions. I like the thought of the 2500 so far.

With a proper roof rack, how much weight can the roof hold? I'm wondering if a small kids ATV would fit up there nicely.

Also, with the 2013 6.0, would it take a supercharger well? Don't know if I would ever do it but it's nice to dream!

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the owner's manual for mine says 200 lbs on the roof.

Yes, the 6.0 is a good engine for forced induction.

RTLINGR2

Reaction score
So my 04 2500 is 4x4, has 6.0 with a 4l80e. 3.73's with a 275/60r17 tire and about 190k on it. Its an LT with a bunch of options.

It averages about 11 to 12mpg. I do tow periodically but its mostly my wife's daily .My cats were plugged so i gutted them. I need to tune to delete codes for cats and rear o2's. When i clear codes with a scan tool it picks up a little fuel mileage. I also converted to e-fans. A/c performance is much better now with idle, traffic, and Florida heat. Something i noticed on mine that i haven't seen on the 1/2 tons is more fuel capacity. Mine has a large side tank and a secondary tank between the spare tire and cargo floor. I have about 38 gallon total capacity. When you top it off with fuel then get out on highway the fuel range keeps increasing for a while. When the gauge does finally start to drop I think its no longer on rear tank and on the side tank. Then you can watch the gauge continously drop.

As far as the roof rack, I'm not sure if would put a kids 4 wheeler up there. It may hold it but i would use a cargo carrier out of the hitch first, less weight to lift over your head. Im not sure on the later models but from 00 to 06 the Z71 equipped 1/2 ton racks seem to be little more stout than the non Z71. The Z71 has roller bar in the rear most bow and and i believe extra bows as well that the standard rack does not have. The roller make things easier to put long items on the roof like a ladder or kayaks. I'm not sure if a 2500 is offered with Z71 package, but something I'm looking at doing is converting over to the Z71 rack.

Another member mentioned Duraburb. Eric is the owner is a super nice guy to talk with. He is located in Apopka, Fl. He specializes in Duramax conversions into Suburbans. Everything is integrated in, all systems work, and looks like it came from the factory with the Duramax. There are a lot of You Tube videos from Duraburb. Been a while since I have looked up the website. Not sure how much info is on there for cost. But again real easy to talk to. He has always done conversations to go with the times. When you Google it, it links to a FB page.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Good to know they would take a supercharger.

Thanks also for the information on the roof rack. I figured the ATV is around 400 pounds. I always see overland guys with huge rooftop tents and a tone of other gear up there. Thought I would ask. I was thinking way down the line if I find a camper and wanted to bring one of the kids 4 wheelers with.

I will also check out the Duraburb but I think it is probably out of my price range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz