? Stuck bolts on 98

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ripsaw223

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
K so I have stripped the interior on the 98 and the bolts that hold down the rear seat which are the 45 or 50 star drive I belive. Well 4 of the 6 came out but one on each side won't come out I have used a impact gun, heat, cryogenic freezing you name it . Now if I torch these out will it still be safe enough with 2 bolts on each side or should I cut them out and run 3 per side ?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if it will be safe with missing bolts but i can suggest what i did with my 94 suburban. I gutted the inside of that your having trouble getting them out and the previous owner of my ex suburban had the same issue and broke 4 off. All i did was to make sure i was centered as possible and step drilled all 4. 2 came out on thier own during the drilling process saving the threads. The other 2 weren't coming out so i brought the bit size up to min spec for tapping that thread pitch. When i ran a tap through it got everything cleaned out and i was able to use proper sized new bolts with plenty of meat left to tighten them down.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would have to grind the head off to be able to get to them but cutting oil and drill slow with some nice bits and it is possible to drill through them.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also step drilling as mentioned in my first post. They are the same grade bolts in the 94 suburban seat brackets as in your brackets. It is definitely a pain in the a$$ to drill through them tho but it is possible.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on which ones are stuck he should be able to spray them from underneath. If he has a center mount tank he wont be able to get those ones without dropping the tank.

rushtk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just ran into same problem. All came out but the center top bolt for rear seats. Going to try and drill it out.

wilcfr

Reaction score
K so I have stripped the interior on the 98 and the bolts that hold down the rear seat which are the 45 or 50 star drive I belive. Well 4 of the 6 came out but one on each side won't come out I have used a impact gun, heat, cryogenic freezing you name it . Now if I torch these out will it still be safe enough with 2 bolts on each side or should I cut them out and run 3 per side ?
Just went through a similar thing with my 98. What I was able to do with the few that were frozen were cut off the heads that were trashed, drench them with Kroll and put a big pipe wrench on them. It took more muscle than I thought this 65 year old man had left, but little by little they loosened up and came out thread unharmed. The four that went through this process were the two inside front belt bolts, one outside rear belt bolt and the center back seat bolt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wyodave