Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stretchit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How do I check CAN BUS on my 2005 z71 Tahoe. I understand how to do it through a 16 pin OBD2 port but have no idea how to do it on my Tahoe due to it only having 4 pins in the OBD2 port. Ima supa confused. It has two grounds, data wire, and power wire or voltage wire. Any help on this is much appreciated. Im losing my mind ova here! haha

The reason i need to check this is because I have a major NO THROTTLE RESPONSE issue along with a REDUCED ENGINE POWER message. I have a new throttle body on it. same size as stock. It powers up when i turn the key on and thats it. Codes P0120, P1125, P2120, P2125 are consistent.
Things i have done to fix this issue.
1. checked all wire connections looking for loose ends or damage. I don't see any wire issues but maybe it's super hidden somewhere?
2. Grounds are all clean and tight. I even created a new ground system from the negative terminal to the TAC module, to the Firewall, down to the front side of the head of the engine, to the PCM. Even the "hard to reach grounds on the back of the 5.3" made new ground out of the problem ground ive heard about and cleaned and checked all the wires. Looks good. I have two black grounds that come of the wire harness in the back of the engine. those are good. The only ground i don't have hooked up is the Firewall ground to hood. I doubt that is causing no response from the throttle body. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
3. Tested another TAC and got the same response so im assuming the TAC module is fine.
4. New TPS sensor at the gas pedal was installed. still no response. (it has a pedal adjuster attached to the gas pedal, not sure if that could cause any issues? It currently is not plugged in.)

If anyone can help me understand how to test my new throttle body with a multimeter too that would be awesome. Cant find anything on my year.

Its a fully rebuilt Tahoe. My tuner came over and noticed I had accidentally switched the coil pack plug-ins on the passenger side, he fixed them and the truck started up great. sounded so good! he reved it a couple of times and it sounded awesome, no issues! THEN it happened, turned off the truck, he grabbed the tune kit plugged in and the throttle stopped responding.

Any advice or help on this is greatly appreciated. Its been a week of me trying to fix this issue so I can get my baby rolling again and it hurts my heart so much.

Thank you all for reading and for any future help.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

Do you have access to a quality bi-directional scanner, like a Tech 2 or equivalent? I believe that it would greatly assist in troubleshooting this issue.

OP
OP
S

stretchit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

Do you have access to a quality bi-directional scanner, like a Tech 2 or equivalent? I believe that it would greatly assist in troubleshooting this issue.
I do not have one, I just have a Bluedrive OBD2 scanner. I think its time I buy a good scanner. Do you have any recommendations that wont break the bank?
Thank you for replying

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not have one, I just have a Bluedrive OBD2 scanner. I think its time I buy a good scanner. Do you have any recommendations that wont break the bank?
Thank you for replying
what happens if you put the old throttle body back on?

OP
OP
S

stretchit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's in the trash :( it was in bad shape. Wish I would of kept it.
Going to look into buying a used one and a better scanner to help me trouble shoot.
Using this TB

JET Powr-Flo Throttle Bodies 76100​

OP
OP
S

stretchit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just for a update. No solution still and no fix after multiple attempts. Bought a tech II and I love it but doesn't matter cause my issue has to be a stuck PCM. I attempted to reflash the PCM but couldn't. Put another throttle body and TAC with no change. I HAVE CHECKED THE WIRES VERY VERY VERY WELL. IT HAS TO BE THE PCM. Im losing my fking mind with this ****** problem.