Spun bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here suffer a spun bearing? I just had this happen. Truck started running rough and the check engine light came on. Luckily I have a GM extended warranty. I wish they'd give me a new engine. They claimed that a sample sent to Chevy came back fine for the rest of the engine (is this possible in 1 1/2 days?). So they will just be repairing/rebuilding it. :(

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out the service rep told me the wrong thing. It was a worn camshaft bearing. They only repaired/replaced the one bearing. Is this the right thing to do? Seems like it's just a bandaid and doesn't solve a possible poor lubrication issue. Happened at only 60k miles.

I found this:
Subject: SES Light, Blue Exhaust Smoke, Misfire, Oil Consumption and/or Fouled #1 Spark Plug - Replace Engine

Models: 2009 Cadillac Escalade Hybrid
2008-2009 Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid
2008-2009 GMC Yukon Hybrid
with 6.0L Engine (RPO LFA)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may complain of an engine misfire, oil consumption, blue exhaust smoke, and/or an SES light. Upon inspection, oil deposits will be found on the #1 spark plug causing cylinder 1 to misfire and set DTCs P0300 and/or P0301. Typically, this will not occur until the vehicle has accumulated at least 8,000 miles. This may be the result of excess oil splashing onto the #1 cylinder wall due to a worn #1 cam bearing. This excess oil may eventually get into the combustion chamber and foul the #1 spark plug causing the engine misfire and SES light.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the SI diagnosis does not isolate the cause of this concern, inspect the #1 spark plug for excessive oil deposits. If excessive deposits are present, replace the engine assembly. Before ordering a replacement engine, gather the engine unit numbers, generate an engine replacement estimate, and contact the PQC 1-866-654-7654 for pre-authorization as outlined in 02-07-30-029L.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Pretty much the exact problem I had. Can't tell if this is saying that if you have this problem that you get a replacement engine. My service receipt documents oil on spark plug #1.

I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow!

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Green Machine,

Hello! I understand that you may have some concerns about some vehicle issues that are occurring and you plan on calling your dealership as a result. I would like to look into this for you. Please private message me if I can be of any assistance.

Regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this exact thing happen, although it want plug #1, think it was 4 maybe. Anywho, the description is correct, the valve cover design allows a small bit of oil to splash into a plug. Mine may be a little different situation since it was as a result of this happening over a long period of time (I have an 08). Simple fix. We took the cover off and clean it to death. Luckily I've got a shop I can use to do some work. Basically used a solvent and a safe brake cleaner to completely clean out the cover and the small valve. After this was done I have zero smoke upon starts and it runs a smooth as ever. My original issue was also causing an incredible amount of oil to burn. It solved all problems. I want to say they redesigned the valve cover which was supposed to fix the issue but I'm not certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I got a spun bearig on my prelude. When I had bad bearings on the Tahoe. I had to get a donor block for the crank shaft then hot tank to get crap out of the block that could screw the bearing again.

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like 30,000 miles later the same thing has happened again! But this time my warranty has expired. I hope GM takes care of this because I think the engine should have been replaced the first time around! :mad:

To make it worse, the dealer that did the repair the first time around was sold to another company last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick