Solid Axle Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Symba_The_Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this has been a dream of mine for a wile to do a solid axle swap to my 1996 Tahoe ls 2 door because 20 year old IFS suspension sucks on and off Michigan roads, But I don't know where to even start, What kind of axles should i be looking for? Ford? Dodge? 1ton? 5ton? If someone could walk me tho it in lay man terms and some picture of you're project or finished rig explaining all that half to be done that would be all-some, Thank you for looking!

Last edited:

Y2KpewterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends what you want to do with your rig. Strictly off road? Weekend warrior type? What kind of terrain will you be traveling? Many things to consider. There are 'bolt on' kits available, while all you need is n axle. (Off road direct, off road unlimited, fab worx off road, sky manufacturing, *** traction and off road design all offee bolt on kits) some kits offer coil overs, others use leaf springs. Some require the use of a ford Superduty front end. A popular axle is the Dana 60 from the 70s ford F250 snow fighter and highboy. Ive seen these axles go for $1500 with out being overhauled or rebuilt though.

OP
OP
Symba_The_Lyon

Symba_The_Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i am going for the weekend warrior type, So With those bolt on kits you do half to weld them on too? And is it really as simple as just bolting the axles on and have the right gear ratio and you can drive? From the research i have done you half to do something with the transfer case? What would be the cheapest way to go coil overs or leaf-springs, Can you when you swap the front axle with a Dana 60 can you still use the stock rear axle set up or do you half to buy a set of front and rear Dana's axles? I have been looking around on Craigslist and i have a Dana 60 from a 2005 f250 under $900 Can you use the newer year axles? I really want my hoe to ride high like you're ford ^^

Last edited:

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
Leaf springs are gonna ride like death.

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great episode.

Edit: Do not believe that $1450 total though. Thats ridiculous. It'll cost more like $4-5000 AT LEAST to do a correct SAS swap.

Last edited:

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great episode.

Edit: Do not believe that $1450 total though. Thats ridiculous. It'll cost more like $4-5000 AT LEAST to do a correct SAS swap.

Talked to my guy a while back who does lift and offroad stuff, he said plan on $10k-15k to properly do a SAS.

clownracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you guys are way high on your numbers

i think it could be done for 3-4k if you subbed everything out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenK