Smoother Denali ride??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OilfieldTrash78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out a way to get a smoother ride out of the Denali? I have a ‘16 4x4 with max trailering package, and it can ride pretty rough. I had the dealer check it out, and they said it is riding normally. Was thinking to put a leveling kit, and bigger tires may help

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leveling kit only makes the front feel more brittle and jittery. Bigger tires aren’t going to do much especially if you go for AT. The only thing you can really do is disable MRC and replace with a quality shock. Or get a quality highway tire.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out a way to get a smoother ride out of the Denali? I have a ‘16 4x4 with max trailering package, and it can ride pretty rough. I had the dealer check it out, and they said it is riding normally. Was thinking to put a leveling kit, and bigger tires may help

What size wheels and tires are you running? What brand of tire?

These things are made to tow and they ride better with some weight in the back. Mine rides much nicer with a few hundreds pounds on the rear axle compared to when its just me on board.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed the long wheel base cars drive smoother than the short, hence I went with the ESV escalade. But the magnetic ride system is a littler "stiffer" than I would like, it also allows it to handle 1000x's better than the trucks and older versions. They ride so flat now. But over uneven pavement it's not so nice.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MRC feels like it has a stiff shock and soft spring. It’s jittery yet floppy at the same time. It’s a very messy feeling ride.

OP
OP
O

OilfieldTrash78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size wheels and tires are you running? What brand of tire?

These things are made to tow and they ride better with some weight in the back. Mine rides much nicer with a few hundreds pounds on the rear axle compared to when its just me on board.

I am running the factory 20” Denali wheels, and a Goodyear Wrangler AT tire right now in the OEM size.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running the factory 20” Denali wheels, and a Goodyear Wrangler AT tire right now in the OEM size.

Those are P-Metrics right? Are you running them at stock air pressure, 35 psi?

If the ride is still poor after adding weight then it is the tires. Goodyears are not known for a great ride. Michelin is tops, then the BFG KO2s get higher marks at Tire Rack. My buddy likes his Toyo Open Country tires, got 80K out of his last set of Es on his Duramax.

OP
OP
O

OilfieldTrash78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are P-Metrics right? Are you running them at stock air pressure, 35 psi?

If the ride is still poor after adding weight then it is the tires. Goodyears are not known for a great ride. Michelin is tops, then the BFG KO2s get higher marks at Tire Rack. My buddy likes his Toyo Open Country tires, got 80K out of his last set of Es on his Duramax.

I have never been a fan of Goodyear, so my plan is to either just change tires to either BFG’s, or Nittos, or getting new 20 x 10 wheels and get the BFG’s or nittos.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the ride is bone jarring rough, try bouncing each corner of the truck
I had an issue that was not detected for 25000 miles. One of the rear shocks/struts locked in place and would move very little. I have thread here somewhere.
Michelin defender ltx ms tires ride smoother than at tire

Last edited:

jasgot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't rule out the Magneride system. It's been replaced twice on my '15 Denali. The first time, they would no longer stiffen. My daughter said "I feel like a bobble head in here". Dealer replaced them under the extended warranty. The next time two of them locked, it was like riding in a radio flyer with no suspension at all. Also replaced under extended warranty. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo