Slight lifter tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Quigley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hit 113k on my 2012 and it seems like I have a lifter tick maybe? Should I try an engine flush or maybe run ATF in it at an idle for 20 mins or so and change the oil. Just looking for some feed back. Thank you!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It couldn't hurt (if done properly!) to try the cheap and easy flush methods.

First, try to verify the cause of the ticking. Just at startup? Goes away after it warms up? All the time? Better after a fresh oil change? You sure it's not a broken exhaust manifold bolt?

OP
OP
Tim Quigley

Tim Quigley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s been all the time , I noticed very faint not too long ago now it’s kinda noticeable. Accelerating

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hit 113k on my 2012 and it seems like I have a lifter tick maybe? Should I try an engine flush or maybe run ATF in it at an idle for 20 mins or so and change the oil. Just looking for some feed back. Thank you!

Before you do that, what oil are you running in it now?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil one , 5w30. I did add motor medic valve medic oil detergent

Could the additive have thinned out the oil?

I've recently revisited my oil chart, comparing this oil against that oil on a spreadsheet. I too am running plain old M1 in mine.

Shell Rotella Gas Truck, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Redline and even the latest ACDelco Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil is thicker than M1, has a higher viscosity number and around the same viscosity index number.

M1 is not the same as it was even nine or ten years ago when I started using it thirty some years ago. It's no longer a Group IV base oil formula.

So I think next time around it's going to be ACDelco; they even have a specific oil for the aluminum engine recommended on their website. I found it cheap over at GMPartsGiant too.

FYI:

10-9234/88865905 - 1 Quart Bottle
10-9147/88865743 - 5 Quart Bottle
10-9165/88865763 - 6 Gallon Box

Well, after all that rambling on, I guess my point is that you should maybe try a thicker oil. Same 5W-30 just slicker and thicker! The choice of filter is pretty important too for flow. Some just don't flow worth a plate of beans.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s been all the time , I noticed very faint not too long ago now it’s kinda noticeable. Accelerating

Accelerating? Like when you give it throttle? What about sharply jabbing the throttle while parked? You don't have to stab it and hold it until redline, just a sharp jab and hold for about a second to make the revs jump up under heavy throttle.

Have you ruled out a broken manifold bolt(s)?

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is happening all the time, definitely could be exhaust manifolds. Believe me, I had lifter tick, and manifold noise due to broken studs.

Check out this thread I made a few months ago based on my experiences with the burb;
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/engine-noise-progress-with-videos.110089/

I would suggest, depending on your oil level, toss in a quart of trans fluid and drive it until next oil change. I did a fresh oil change with 5qt of 5w-20 full synth supertech w/ a quart of trans fluid. Ran that for about 1000 miles and I feel that did the most good. I'm still using marvel mystery oil as an additive right now to keep things in good order, but I will probably stop that after this oil change. She has quieted down so much, I'm quite satisfied. The trans fluid did the most, while costing the least I feel.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a better or best brand oil to use?

Grumpy Bear over at the GM-Trucks forum uses Red Line and swears by it. It's also increased his fuel economy some. I'm trying to find something similar but less expensive and think it might be the ACDelco mentioned above which is for the aluminum engined 4WD trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667