Tick-tick on start up after going Synthetic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have asked this question before, can't remember.

5 liter gasser, 190+ K

Shortly after I got this, I had a oil and filter change and went to 5W30 full synthetic. On first morning start up, I hear a pronounced tick-tick-tick, for a short time until the engine warms up. It doesn't last long, maybe a minute or so and doesn't come back on warm starts later the same day. Oil is full, hasn't dropped any. Clear, not discolored. Less than 2K since the change.

I don't remember hearing it before the oil change.

Should I be concerned? Should I consider going back to conventional?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do you know what weight conventional/synthetic oil was used before you got it? The tick noise is the lifters pumping up after bleeding off when sitting. You can try a 10w-30 oil, again conventional/synthetic, and see what happens. What pressure does the dash gauge show at start up?

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never used synthetic in my K2500 or any of the Yukons or Tahoes. That said they all tick at times, they also piston slap on cold start up. Welcome to the world of vortec 5.7L. All of mine get 5W-30 Mobil conventional oil and AC Delco or Wix filters.
You could step up to the LS engines with oil consumption, lose prime on oil changes and failed lifters that require head removal to change.

sdsuburb06

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a 97 GMC Sierra with 5.7 and have this same tick upon startup in the winter months (Temps are sub freezing for most of the winter). 5w30 full synthetic to 10w30 conventional, it's always there upon the first startup and been this way for years - engine has 254k miles on it. Have just learned or gotten comfortable with the fact it's a part of owning a vehicle with this motor. Mechanics I know and have talked with tell me it's a very common issue and nothing to lose sleep over.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have asked this question before, can't remember.

5 liter gasser, 190+ K

Shortly after I got this, I had a oil and filter change and went to 5W30 full synthetic. On first morning start up, I hear a pronounced tick-tick-tick, for a short time until the engine warms up. It doesn't last long, maybe a minute or so and doesn't come back on warm starts later the same day. Oil is full, hasn't dropped any. Clear, not discolored. Less than 2K since the change.

I don't remember hearing it before the oil change.

Should I be concerned? Should I consider going back to conventional?
Some synthetics are like that. Mobil One?

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get yourself a stethoscope and listen to the valve covers above each cylinder area, exhaust manifolds at each exhaust port, and other areas until you hear the ticking most pronounced. (This may take some time because you will only have a few seconds at a time during cold startups.) This will help narrow it down.

I have a tick most pronounced at startup. I found a slight tick on the exhaust manifold. By tightening the bolt a little it got better, but I am going above torque specs on the bolts now so I figure I have a warped exhaust manifold. Apparently this is very common too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk