SLE towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thavngr98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All

looked though and searched for answer but most threads are about SLT/ Denali's. Kind of new to pulling a travel trailer. I have a 2016 Yukon XL SLE. According to the GMC site with my 5.3 3.08 gears I can pull a max of 6000lbs. I'm looking to purchase a Hybrid trailer which are much lighter than conventional travel trailers. If I'm looking at this right with the setup I have right now I could handle no problem a trailer that is 4500 to 4900lbs? And not exceeding 600lb tongue weight?

TIA
Dave

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All

looked though and searched for answer but most threads are about SLT/ Denali's. Kind of new to pulling a travel trailer. I have a 2016 Yukon XL SLE. According to the GMC site with my 5.3 3.08 gears I can pull a max of 6000lbs. I'm looking to purchase a Hybrid trailer which are much lighter than conventional travel trailers. If I'm looking at this right with the setup I have right now I could handle no problem a trailer that is 4500 to 4900lbs? And not exceeding 600lb tongue weight?

Dave -

Taking a look at this site: http://rvbonus.com/towing/2016/chev/

It looks like with your 5.3 w/ 3.08 rear if you are 2WD your limit is 6,500lbs and 6,300lbs if you're 4WD, pretty much in line with the information that you have. My question is are the 4,500 - 4900lbs weights you mentioned the dry weight as they come from the factory or the max gross trailer weight that their axles are rated to? You have to keep in mind that the dry weight does not normally include anything that is installed after it rolls out from the factory like propane, batteries, A/C units, awnings, etc. Then you need to account for the gear and supplies you pack into it.

I have a 21' ultra-lite travel trailer that has a dry weight of 3,300lbs, a curb weight of a little over 4,000lbs with propane, batteries, A/C, and an awning, and probably close to 4,500 when we pack it for a long multi-week trip.

I think on paper with your rating I wouldn't go much heavier than you are looking right now. A travel trailer with a total weight of 5000lbs would want and ideal tongue weight of 650lbs
(~13%) which it probably exactly the max capacity of your hitch receiver without using a weight distribution system of some type. Even with my ultra-lite trailer and ~500-600 tongue weight I use weight distribution bars to level the trailer and transfer some of the weight to my front axle.

If you are going to be towing for any length over short trips, I would also invest in a transmission cooler if your SLE is not equipped.

I purchased my '05 Yukon last summer specifically to tow the camper that we had just purchased, and I put a lot of time and research into making sure I was confident in the Yukon as a tow vehicle, and what its limits were. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, I probably had them myself about a year ago.

OP
OP
T

thavngr98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. My XL is 4x4. I started looking at some hybrid trailers that are more around 3000 to 3500 dry weight. My truck is a lease Id rather not put any money into it and use it as is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts