Shutting off at 80mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well after having out truck for over 7 months finally decided to see what all gears go up to. Up to now the most ive gone is prob 75 on the freeway my wife usually drives our escalade.

Get this i floor it and 1-2 pulls fine get into 3rd hit 80 mph and truck goes into limp mode hits 79 mph you can hear it hit the gas again. I need to pull the tune out of the truck tomorrow and see what it says but I dont know why gm put a 80mph limiter on my truck.

Last edited:

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
80 limiter? doubt it most are at least 90 95 even my yukon i could hit the needle stops after 100. but you said A tune?

OP
OP
NORCAL SS

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
80 limiter? doubt it most are at least 90 95 even my yukon i could hit the needle stops after 100. but you said A tune?

truck has never been tuned. Im pulling the stock gm tune hopefully tomorrow and see whats going on because its only at 80mph goes dead. Ive never heard of this so kinda like wtf?

quattrotman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's actually limited at 105mph from the factory. Might be something else going on there. 80 is too low for a limiter.

OP
OP
NORCAL SS

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yup happens at 80mph only like dead no fuel. Truck goes to 75mph you hit it drops down and pulls good then 80 hits and boom dead. Ill figure it out tomorrow because I can't see anything else that is going on.

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After using 5 different NNBS (Tahoe, Tahoe, Yukon, Denali and Denali) they definitely weren't capped at 80, but near 100. I know my Denali gets to a little over 100mph in 3rd if I remember correctly.

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
Just get a bumper sticker that says "Built for looks, not speed!".

Curious to find out What is wrong.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Tony i dont think its the limiter. We used to race trucks down the highway and got them to 105 no problem. Plug the computer in and see whats happenening because yea it should atleast hit 95-100

OP
OP
NORCAL SS

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yeah ive been racking my brains out all night (its 552 am here now lol)

I know it cant be a engine issue because the ****** does pull hard out the hole (my buddys silverado runs 14.40s and he drove it said it feels like his up to 80)

Coming back from sf last night i ended up trying to go past 80 under light throttle and boom same thing stops at 80 oh well ill know in a few hours whats up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerodmortensen

Latest posts