Should I replace the battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might've saw my thread from a little while ago, about my battery being completely drained after leaving the Tahoe running for about 10 minutes (doing the tire pressure reset procedure).

Well, I've had more problems. Twice this weekend, I've tried starting it and for the first 2 or 3 attempts, it just clicks like the battery's dead. But if I give it a few seconds and try again, it starts up, but tries harder to than normal.

And last night, I tried remote starting it, and no matter what I did with the key fob, the Tahoe wouldn't do anything. It wouldn't even lock/unlock, so I had to do that manually. When I opened the door, no interior lights came on, and I got the usual failure to start until I tried a few more times.

I'm past the 36,000 mile mark for the warranty, so I don't know if the dealer would fix this without charging a lot.

What do you guys suggest I do...replace it and add a second? And what batteries have worked well for you?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

OEM batteries die fast. Faster if you are in an extreme climate. Get a better battery. The color of its top shouldn't matter much.

scarter

Reaction score
OEM batteries die fast. Faster if you are in an extreme climate. Get a better battery. The color of its top shouldn't matter much.

wouldnt mind doing that except i just had the battery tested and it was fine.

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

If you have an 07 then yours fits under a recall, where the computers stay on in the vehicle after everything else is turned off, therefore draining the battery without you even knowing.

For future references though, you can do the reset procedure with the engine on, don't know why they think you have to keep the engine off for it. I had to do this not too long ago and it worked fine with the engine running.

any link to this announcement of a recall? not saying its not true just might need some documentation, the dealership didn't seem to know anything about a recall.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have an 07 then yours fits under a recall, where the computers stay on in the vehicle after everything else is turned off, therefore draining the battery without you even knowing.

For future references though, you can do the reset procedure with the engine on, don't know why they think you have to keep the engine off for it. I had to do this not too long ago and it worked fine with the engine running.

Bingo!

OP
OP
zach2011

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
What model yellow top should I get for my 07 Denali?

I can get some numbers off mine, but if you go to an auto parts store that supplies them then they'll know which model you need.

alpineflip

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sorry to thread jack but I noticed a few of you recommending the optima yellow top batteries and was wondering if you guys run those with a stock setup or have some type of audio system? I don't plan on adding any subs, probably just keep it at the stock NAV and speakers as my wife could care less for sound and wanted to get a new battery just couldn't decide red or yellow

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any verification on the recall?

It's not a recall, just a technical service bulletin. Yes they did this update to my truck along with other software updates. Make sure you bring it in if you are having this issue.

cam3439

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to thread jack but I noticed a few of you recommending the optima yellow top batteries and was wondering if you guys run those with a stock setup or have some type of audio system? I don't plan on adding any subs, probably just keep it at the stock NAV and speakers as my wife could care less for sound and wanted to get a new battery just couldn't decide red or yellow

I ran the yellowtop with a stock setup for a little bit, but I installed a system not too long after getting the yellowtop. The battery has held up pretty good, and hasn't quit on me yet. It starts up the truck with ease (no matter if it's cold or hot) and I've had it for 4 years now. I like it because it's made for systems and has a higher reserve capacity.

scarter

Reaction score
It's not a recall, just a technical service bulletin. Yes they did this update to my truck along with other software updates. Make sure you bring it in if you are having this issue.

thanks man for the clarification.. i called my dealer they said they've had tons of service bulletin's on this model vehicle.. he didn't seem to think flashing the computer would help any.. he recomended not running the radio and override the lights to the off position when the engine is not running:waytogo: guess i'll try this yellowtop battery everyone talks about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Friendy