Battery Replacement a Professional Job?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bad_idea

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Yukon XL Denali. Wife took it in for a leaking tire. They tested her battery while they had the car - curtesy check. They said it is a bit weak. I went on to Advance Auto's site to price a replacement, and they have it listed as a 'professional only' job. I've torn a few older vehicles down to the rails and started over. I looked it up on YouTube and they guy shows swapping it out in under 5 minutes. What is the professional part?! Does it require some kind of computer wizardry?

Also, what battery are you guys running? I usually throw the cheapest one available in my cars, but this one is the wife's. I spend a good amount of time out of town, so I like to spend extra to keep her vehicle reliable.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Some non professionals may spark while removing cables and reinstalling cables and also use the wrong tools for the job. If you have mechanical know how, you should be fine. I agree with @Doubeleive for the Interstate AGM battery. I have it in mine and works flawless. If old battery was 5-6 years old, that is why it likely did not do well in a load test. Time for a new one and make sure cable ends are clean of corrosion when you do the job.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least you don't have a Jaguar like I do... When you put a new battery in it, the whole BCM/ECM has to be re coded to recognize the new battery or else it will still try to charge your new one like the old rundown one and ruin your new one in short order...500.00 at dealer...

15burban

Reaction score
The professional only part is them covering their arse on their free installation. Meaning they won't do it. If it's not a disconnect negative, positive, undo battery hold down, remove, and install new battery in reverse order they consider it professional only. Which I don't blame them. I wouldn't trust most parts counter people touching my vehicles.

As far as batteries go I thought I read somewhere that there's only a couple of actual battery manufacturers and everyone else just slaps they're name brand on them. I've had good luck with just the cheap Walmart batteries.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The professional only part is them covering their arse on their free installation. Meaning they won't do it. If it's not a disconnect negative, positive, undo battery hold down, remove, and install new battery in reverse order they consider it professional only. Which I don't blame them. I wouldn't trust most parts counter people touching my vehicles.

As far as batteries go I thought I read somewhere that there's only a couple of actual battery manufacturers and everyone else just slaps they're name brand on them. I've had good luck with just the cheap Walmart batteries.
Especially for AGM batteries. There are three. Nose of the nose in the air brands, including Optima, make their own.

ss4chad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I work Part Time at O'Reilly's and change these batteries and many others constantly. O'Reilly's has a disclaimer on that Vehicle (and many others) that says;
"Professional Installation Recommended"
The reason is because their are two braces that cover that battery, one (1) vertical brace and one (1) horizontal brace. The Horizontal brace attaches to the firewall and the fender and the vertical brace attached to the Horizontal Brace and the battery tray support. Sadly there are people that work at these stores, O'Reilly's, NAPA, Autozone, Advance, etc... that cross thread these attach points quite frequently. When that happens O'Reilly's has to pay to replace that nut clip in the tray or on the firewall and repair shops or the Dealers charge an ASS LOAD of money to fix that.
Or in some cases like the Acadia, Traverse and some cars, the battery is under the front passenger seat under the floorboard or a plastic cover. Some guys just rip them off and trash the cover so O'Reilly's and NAPA, Advance, etc. have to replace that part on the vehicle and most of the time, to sooth an upset customer, they will give them the battery for free as well as buying a new cover.
That get's ridiculously expensive!!

The Caveat is by having that warning in writing and disclosing that to the Customer, and they still want John Fiddlefuck mechanic to install the battery, when he screws things up or breaks them then O'Reilly's and others aren't liable for the damage. crappy yes but that's how they get out of it.

I've been turning wrenches on cars, trucks, Airplanes and Jet Engines for 40+ years. But if I don't want to change the battery in a customers car/truck because its cold or raining or I'm in the middle of watching YouTube on my phone, I will tell customers that I can't change their battery because it recommends Professional installation!

Hey, don't judge me!!

Chad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar