Shocks/struts for ride quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard the same and those Belltechs are my top choice when mine go unless I hear something different.

Is there a difference in handling between the 2 assuming truck at same height? Just wondering if we get best of both worlds or sacrifice one for the other.

OP
OP
K

KilluminatiDre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think handling would be the same at stock height but the belltechs would be better when lowered since they are adjustable.

OP
OP
K

KilluminatiDre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got these installed. It was alittle of a headache but it's done. Biggest issue i had was the stud and nut on the front strut were spinning together and I had no way to break the nut loose so I had to take both front struts to a local shop to disassemble the struts and resemble the new strut. I got charged 2 hours of labor for that. When putting the struts back into the truck you need more clearance than the OEM shocks and you need to unbolt the control arm for more clearance but that requires a ball joint press, which I don't have. My roommate and I put the strut in and used a floor jack to push up from the bottom to get it over the lip. My final issue was the nut for the drivers side swaybar endlink got damaged so I will need to replace that. I'm just going to replace both endlinks for $12

The truck drives alot better. It handles bumps much better and no longer bounces. Before I could sit in the drivers side and rock my body and it would rock the entire truck side to side. Now I can't do than. Body roll is still bad but I also only have one front endlink bolted so that my change once I replace them. I also want to get better sway bars and lower soon so that this thing won't feel like a boat. Also breaking has improved dramatically since the front no longer nose dives and is more stable and planted.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A disconnected sway bar will most certainly cause more body roll. You can't beat some polyurethane replacements for the price.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got these installed. It was alittle of a headache but it's done. Biggest issue i had was the stud and nut on the front strut were spinning together and I had no way to break the nut loose so I had to take both front struts to a local shop to disassemble the struts and resemble the new strut. I got charged 2 hours of labor for that. When putting the struts back into the truck you need more clearance than the OEM shocks and you need to unbolt the control arm for more clearance but that requires a ball joint press, which I don't have. My roommate and I put the strut in and used a floor jack to push up from the bottom to get it over the lip. My final issue was the nut for the drivers side swaybar endlink got damaged so I will need to replace that. I'm just going to replace both endlinks for $12

The truck drives alot better. It handles bumps much better and no longer bounces. Before I could sit in the drivers side and rock my body and it would rock the entire truck side to side. Now I can't do than. Body roll is still bad but I also only have one front endlink bolted so that my change once I replace them. I also want to get better sway bars and lower soon so that this thing won't feel like a boat. Also breaking has improved dramatically since the front no longer nose dives and is more stable and planted.

Thanks for the update. You mentioned the bolt was spinning. No option to get a wrench on one side and ratchet on the other?

Your feedback is definitely moving me to a 2/3 drop. Cant wait to hear how it drives when the end link is fixed.

OP
OP
K

KilluminatiDre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. You mentioned the bolt was spinning. No option to get a wrench on one side and ratchet on the other?

Your feedback is definitely moving me to a 2/3 drop. Cant wait to hear how it drives when the end link is fixed.

There's no way to get a wrench on there due to the design of the strut. The post of the strut was spinning with the nut.

I definitely want a 2/3 drop too. I'll most likely go with Belltech again since I'm so pleased with the shocks. After doing more driving even with the disconnected end link the body roll is better that it was with the worn shocks. The ride is so much better, I can roll right over speed bumps now and the body is tight. No more bouncing around like before. I'm still surprised at how much braking improved.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like you could lock the shaft with a pair of vice grips or something like that, and then tighten the top nut with a wrench or socket???

OP
OP
K

KilluminatiDre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like you could lock the shaft with a pair of vice grips or something like that, and then tighten the top nut with a wrench or socket???

You can put vice grips on the stud but theres no way to get a wrench on the nut. Its hard to explain but the nut is deep in a well sorrounded by the top hat where you have to use a socket.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, were it me, I guess I'd have to take it to my mechanic and have him tighten it properly. I am not good with something being loose that might cause some sort of failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645