Shocks/struts for ride quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KilluminatiDre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so my truck is at 150k miles and the shocks/struts are shot. I use the truck for work and put 100-150+ miles on it daily and I just can't take the ride anymore. Any type of large bump or speed bump causes the body to bounce and sway like crazy. I plan on lowering with a 2/3 drop soon but i just want shocks that are going to feel somewhat comfortable over bumps and not be out of control. I was thinking about the Bilstein 4600 but i will never offrosd this truck so I don't know if those are worth that price. Or should I just go OEM?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swaying may be caused by other things like the ends of the swaybars, tie rods, hubs, panhard bar, etc. As mentioned earlier, I'm replacing my springs and shocks with GM/AC Delco; my truck has the ZW7 suspension.

Years ago I replaced the factory air-ride shocks on another vehicle with Monroe's that did not last half as long. I paid about half as much too! Decade or two before that, replaced the original shocks with adjustable drag shocks that still provided for a nice ride but the brand escapes me now.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have put Koni on most of my other cars but Bilsteins were always considered the more expensive and better ride, performance wise. I'm in here for feedback. From some of the feedback I received, Bilstein's may be too bouncy for most comfortable ride. I really dont want to believe it because they were the ones I heard a lot of good things about but also the same ones I heard bad, not in reliability but comfort.

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know what brand are on our Hybrid as they are still working OK at 137,000 +. The ride has always been very good so we will go back with whatever was stock when the time comes. Guess I am not much help.:(

OP
OP
K

KilluminatiDre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering the Belltech street performance shocks since they will be compatible when I lower the truck. I was going to pull the trigger on Bilstein 4600s but read that the ride quality gets alot worse if you lower.